• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

COMMON NAME Bronze Corydoras
SCIENTIFIC NAME Corydoras Aeneus
FAMILY Catfish
ORIGIN South America
MAXIMUM SIZE  7-8cm  (approx 3 inches)
TEMPERATURE RANGE 22-26 degrees (72-79F)
CARE A low PH is prefered at around 6.4 - 7. It is also a must to keep corydoras on either a sand substrate or a smooth pebble as a rough substrate will wear away their barbels which can lead to infection.
FEEDING - flake, catfish pellets/wafers, sinking granuals and a good selection of frozen or live food - bloodworm being a favourite for mine. They also go crazy for a dried tubiflex block stuck to the glass (a couple of inches from the substrate so they can feed easily)
SEXING  All corydoras can be difficult to sex and there are no obvious differences when they are very young. As they get to full size the difference between male and female can become more noticeable. Basicly the female will be larger and more rounded than the male.
OTHER Breeding Corydoras - I have found breeding happens only when they are ready. They can be prompted with cooler water changes but I have found this to be an unreliable method. They need to be conditioned with plenty of good food - generally if there is an abundence of food they are more likely to consider increasing their numbers.
Cories are egg depositers. When breeding the female and male with go into a T-Position. The female takes the males sperm into her mouth, she will then clamp her anal fins together and lay eggs into them. She will hold them between the fins until she is happy she has found a suitable place to place them. She will clean the area with her mouth and then lay the eggs - a flat surface such as the glass is often the chosen place but I have found eggs on leaves. The eggs can take anything from 3 to 7 days to hatch. During this time the egg will go from a creamy colour to a dark grey. A mature female can lay over 100 eggs.

#2 TwoTankAmin

TwoTankAmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have never read or been told by cory breeders that

When breeding the female and male with go into a T-Position. The female takes the males sperm into her mouth, she will then clamp her anal fins together and lay eggs into them. She will hold them between the fins until she is happy she has found a suitable place to place them. She will clean the area with her mouth and then lay the eggs - a flat surface such as the glass is often the chosen place but I have found eggs on leaves.

Here is what Planet catfish says about aeneus spawning:

The fish should respond by spawning in the classic 'T' formation method.
Here, using one of his pectoral fins, the male clamps the female to his side by her barbels and fertilizes a small batch of eggs held within the protective basket formed by her pelvic fins. The adhesive eggs are then placed on plants or aquarium walls and the process repeated.
from http://www.planetcat...p?species_id=51

And here is what Ian Fuller writes about spawning corys in general:

It will be pretty obvious when the fish are interested in breeding buy their increased activity, what usually happens is the males will start to pay a female a lot of attention by performing little dances around and all over her, often offering themselves in arched sideways stances in front of her. They will stay in constant contact in an attempt to arouse a female’s interest. It may only be one two or all four males taking part in the ritual each one competing for the chance to mate. The females will be more interested in cleaning various sites around the tank in readiness to deposit her egg/s. When a female is sufficiently aroused the roles are reversed and she will pursue the male of her choice, nuzzling into his side just above his ventral fins. At this point the male will clamp the females barbels to his side using his pectoral fin spine, the male will be seen quivering for a second or two before releasing his grip on the female. This is what is known as the Corydoras ‘T’ mating position and depending on the species is the time when the female releases egg/s into a pouch formed by clamping her ventral fins together. There are some species where the female releases her egg/s into the pouch after the male has released her. There is a lot of conjecture how or at what point the egg/s are fertilised and has been the subject for some lengthy discussions, which I do not intend to delve into here.
After mating the female will rest momentarily and then swim off in search of a suitable site to deposit her egg/s, which may be on the tank glass or on one or all of the other tanks furnishings. I have found that C. paleatus seem to prefer the tank sides to deposit their eggs on, with C. aeneus having a preference for plants and mops.
from http://www.planetcat...?article_id=312

PC and Ian both seem not to mention anything about sperm in the mouth of the female nor about the cleaning spots by the female after the eggs are fertilized. Rather she cleans before the spawning.

My experience is that storms (barometric pressure drops) coupled with water changes most often trigger seasonal spawners. More difficult species may require temperature drops and some other parameter specific conditions. Of course the feeding of high protein food, live being the best, is also key factor.

#3 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

I have a video of my albino bronze and gold laser cory in T-position(They don't know they are different species it seems :ike: ) tTo me it looks like the female was dropping the eggs in her fins at the same time she was drawing sperm from the male.

#4 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

I do, of course apologise for getting it wrong TTA. I basicly wrote about my own experience with watching them spawn. I have never, nor never would, pretend to be an expert in the breeding of these fish. I am but a mere fish keeper and lover and wrote what I have seen with my own eyes.

For the eggs to be furtile there has to be male sperm in there somewhere. The male does not pass over the eggs and fertilize them as with some species. Nor does he wrap himself around or swim at the side as with others.

The forum asked for us to have a go at writing a species index and I did, end of really ...

Snazy - it appears you have seen exactly what I have seen. She clamps herself to the side of the male and draws "something" (what else can it be but sperm?) from him, clamps together her fins and eggs appear between them. She holds them there until she finds somewhere to lay them .... *shrugs*

#5 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Corydoras eggs are fertilised as the female swallows the males sperm during the T-position. It then passes very quickly through a specially designed digestive system and fertilises the eggs whilst they are still inside her. She then passes the fertilised eggs out and holds them in her pelvic fins before choosing a place to deposit them.

Hope this clarifies.

Claire

Now gone salty! Follow my journey into the salty side here.

Posted Image