#1 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I thought I would kick of a new journal.  A high tech planted tank.

Its outside my comfort zone but from taking up the hobby I was always in owe of those competitive planted aquariums.  I got side tracked along the way, initially just keeping my fish alive. Now its time to tick that box.  Also getting a bit ancy to do something new.

Setup

Tank Rio 180
Lighting standard on tank.  2 x 45w T5s.  May get reflectors but I think I don't need
Substrate will be columbo florabase, 30 litres.
Pressuraised Co2, Fire extinguisher with inline diffuser.
Fertilisers, EI starter kit from http://www.aquariump...tarter-kit.html
Tetratec 1200 external filter
Fauna, livestock in my sig
Flora, undecided.

Waiting for a few things to arrive in post.  A few of the bits and pieces for the CO2. Tweezers and scissors for plant maintanace.

I am coverting a working tank so everything needs done in one day.  Move fish to a container, clean tank, add substrate, hardscape and planting in such a manner to bring a tear to the eye. Refill and move fish back in. I am also going to do a bit of DIY on the cabinet to make more room for filter and FE.

I am aiming for an iwagumi style of tank.  I'm thinking hills with rocks.  I still haven't found what rocks to use and have not looked at the plants yet so feel free to offer suggestions.  I hope kick this off before christmas.

This is the tank as it stands.  Needs alot of TLC.

Posted Image

Thanks for looking
Mark
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#2 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

good luck with this mate, will be keeping an eye on it.
<script type="text/j&#097;v&#097;script" src="http://en.iaplc.com/...ner/468x60.js">
</script>

#3 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Cheers Ian.

Tying down the technical side of a high tech tank took a while.  Now need to work on the plants.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

#4 Ivan

Ivan

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Good luck with this tank and have fun. If you can, really try get some reflectors for those 45w lights. makes a BIG difference.
Posted Image

#5 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostIvan, on 18 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Good luck with this tank and have fun. If you can, really try get some reflectors for those 45w lights. makes a BIG difference.

Cheers.  Will look into the reflectors.

Edit.  Bought on eBay. Tick.

Edited by WetElbow, 18 November 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#6 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

just be careful with the light mate, this is where many slip up...
<script type="text/j&#097;v&#097;script" src="http://en.iaplc.com/...ner/468x60.js">
</script>

#7 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'll kick of with the reflectors and if there are any issues they are easily removed.  Or maybe vice versa.

LOL.  I thought saltwater was a steep learning curve.

#8 DrRob

DrRob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's not a steep curve, you just leap off the edge and fly....

Rule I live by with my high tech tanks, the more energy you put in, the narrower the tightrope. So, as Ian says, be carefully pushing the light up too far unless your regime can handle the other variables.

#9 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm running a high tech tank on 1.8wpg and no issues, so no need for more light. The reflectors will be good though - just saves light being "wasted".

Claire

Now gone salty! Follow my journey into the salty side here.

Posted Image

#10 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

So priced getting some florabase online to N.Ireland and it was going to cost £40 for delivery.  So I asked a LFS to order it in for me and they only managed 20 litres.  So I will have to work with that.  I need to get creative with my hills.

The filter has been cleaned along with the tubing.  So I'm good to go as soon as my plants arive from plantsalive.com.  Flora stocking will be:

Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Eleocharis Parvulus
Eleocharis Vivipara Tall hairgrass

As I have alot to do i've been coming up with some aquascaping ideas. Ths is my hardscape.  Coke can for perspective.

Posted Image

Some rough ideas at what I'm aiming at.  I will not really know until I get my hands dirty.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know, your amazed at my artistry.  I had done A-level art.  :D

#11 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

The last one IS a winner if you can execute it correctly. Good stuff!
</script>

#12 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Some good ideas there.

Nice rug too :P For a minute I thought it was different substrates that you'd sat the rocks on to see what looked best :lol:

Claire

Now gone salty! Follow my journey into the salty side here.

Posted Image

#13 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postclaire, on 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Nice rug too :P For a minute I thought it was different substrates that you'd sat the rocks on to see what looked best :lol:

Not the type of carpet i'm aiming for LOL.  It will be interesting to see if I can apply the ideas.

Can't wait for my plants to arrive. :clover:

#14 Ivan

Ivan

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

i really like the first one. if you can create small bulge at the left and you have small plants on that one you can create extreme depths.
Posted Image

#15 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

On Night Duty so thought i'd pass the time with an update.

Plants posted on Wedneday so thought I would have received them by now.  With that in mind yesterday I got off work early and got stuck into the tank.
  • Moved fish into a large tub and hooked up filter and heater.
  • Drained the rio and cleaned out the tank.  Super stinky. :hairy:
  • Did some wood work on the cabinet to make more room for filter and FE
  • Added substrate and hardscape.
My back was broke after all that.

Much to the wifes consternation the 'Good room' is a mess and my Mum's up this weekend for a visit.  I'm in hiatus until the plants arrive.  Hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed.

To be fair it has allowed me time to mess with the scape.  It's hard to be completely happy.  I'll get the pics up at some stage.
:cheer:

#16 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Look forward to it mate!

Isn't the hospital a&e full with slips and trips? You should be busy!
</script>

#17 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

View Postian, on 14 December 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

Look forward to it mate!

Isn't the hospital a&amp;e full with slips and trips? You should be busy!

It's just about managing my time appropriately LOL.  That and the work tapers off after midnight, usually.

#18 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I modified my cabinet by taking one of the middle up-rights and turning it 90 degrees.  I used magnetic catches to help hold.  I seen this mod on another site and the guy had the tank up and running for a year without any stability issues.  The middle leg becomes part of the middle front section.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not completely happy with the scape.  I wanted more height on the right side.  15 pots of HC, 6 bunches each of EP and EV.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now its a mater of getting the plants to grow.  Still playing with the CO2.

In the first two weeks I will be doing a 40% water change everyday.  After the water change I will be dosing my EI ferts all before my lights come on for 6 hours.  The CO2 comes on 1.5 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before lights off.

#19 Stu

Stu

Forum Regular

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I like the mod on the cabinet, wish you'd posted this couple of weeks ago, when my Rio was taken apart, i might well have followed suit.
Personally i like the rock placement on the right, looks pretty good to me.Is it possible to bury the bottom edges on a couple of the front ones, make em blend in more?
How are the fish finding the change? Mine have been very spooked since the change around.

#20 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'll have a go pushing them in further.  The plants will hopefully cover the bottom of the rocks as well. I've changed the large rock slightly to point taller.  Its funny how minute changes make big differences.

I was worried about the fish particularly my Cory hab. and BN but they appear fine.  I would have been happier with no fish initially to crank up the CO2. Also a bit worried with ammonia leaching from the flora base.

Yeah the modified cabinet is a great idea for more space.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iwagumi, sort of.