• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

This is a really good layout, really well done. The thing that would make it an excellent layout would have been to bank the substrate even higher, this would have given you extra height you needed. Have a look at Amanos iwagumis on YouTube, and you'll see how high he banks his substrates. Other than that though its really nice.
<script type="text/j&#097;v&#097;script" src="http://en.iaplc.com/...ner/468x60.js">
</script>

#22 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Cheers ian.

The extra 10 litres of substrate would have been good.  I might try and do a bit of substrate tinkering.  It's difficult as it throws soil into the water column.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#23 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Story so far.

So two bubble counters broken later.  One I snapped the lid off, the other was leaking where the tubing connected.  Going commando with my CO2 supply then.

Set up my drop checker thinking the liquid that came with it was a combination of 4DKH and indicator.  It didn't register for a while why it stayed orange. So the liquid was a reagent only. Doh.  It's lucky I had RO and bicarb so I was able to make up some 4DKH water.

Not happy with my aqua scape, so of to the LFS and got some Oliver Knott substrate.  The only stuff available in belfast that's a soil substrate.  Much happier with my scape.  More to the original plan.  Will get pics up.  

While at the LFS I seen a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp pair.  I've been looking for this for ages.  So I'm super broke now.  But that's for another journal.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by WetElbow, 19 December 2012 - 11:19 PM.

Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

#24 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

A bit challenging modifying a scape once filled with water.  Hay Ho.  I raised the hill on the right and changed some of the rock work. I thinks it better but feel free to critique.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 SaltBum

SaltBum

Forum Regular

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Looking great. I love the layout!

-Tyler.

#26 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks very much Tyler.  

The challenge now is to get my plants to grow.  It's all bones no meat at the moment.  My co2 had been a tad high for the fish.  I found them grouped together close to the substrate panting.

#27 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Day 34

My E.Parvula is spreading but my HC hasen't really done much.  This last week I seen a small bit of growth.  I had been reading that where the plants are bought and their quality can be an issue so I ordered from The Green Machine, tropoica plants.  More HC and Hydrocotyle tripartita.

Slight plant rescape in mind.  The right side of the tank will be E. parvula and E vivipara.  The middle and left of the tank will be HC with the small island on the left growing the hydrocotyle tripartita around the stones.

There must be a difference.  Once the lights came on I seen pearling for the first time ever :frantics: over the new plants.  Got all excited and called the wife in to look.

A few questions.  The vivipara is quite shaggy looking with runner coming off the top.  Whats the best way to trim these plants or manage the runners?

Also
I'm thinking of running the inline diffuser through the inlet pipe to remove all the C02 bubbles in the tank.  Some people do but there may be an issue with damage to the seals on the canister.  Whats peoples thoughts on that?

At work so will get a few pics up later.

Edited by WetElbow, 20 January 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#28 FishFanatic04

FishFanatic04

Forum Regular

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I've just seen this now! I love it!    I look forward to seeing it with a fuller carpet.  Nice job.

Posted Image

#29 ian

ian

Forum Regular

• Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey mate, trim the viv like you want really, it's literally like real grass, it can take some hammer. As for the diffuser, I used to run co2 into the inlet, and never had any problems, the only problems I have heard people ruining there impellers as there can be a build up of c02 in the shaft area, but you'd hear it if there was a problem.
<script type="text/j&#097;v&#097;script" src="http://en.iaplc.com/...ner/468x60.js">
</script>

#30 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostFishFanatic04, on 19 January 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

I've just seen this now! I love it!    I look forward to seeing it with a fuller carpet.  Nice job.

Thanks very much

View Postian, on 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Hey mate, trim the viv like you want really, it's literally like real grass, it can take some hammer. As for the diffuser, I used to run co2 into the inlet, and never had any problems, the only problems I have heard people ruining there impellers as there can be a build up of c02 in the shaft area, but you'd hear it if there was a problem.

The viv is very scrapy.  I see how I feel and may trim way down like the parvula or remove altogether.  Yeah next free day I think I'll change the diffuser to the inlet.  The bubbles kinda defeats having a nice scape.

#31 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Not much growth.  Have an algae issue as well with diatoms on the rocks and brown algae on the parvula.  Added 6 amano shrimp and 6 ottos.  The rocks are clean one day later with the shrimp.  The tank is very active now with stocking which is nice.

I think I'm ticking all the boxes except flow so have a Koralia 900 in the post and see how that goes.

#32 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think i'm giving up on HC.  Very disappointed :( .  I've had it planted for 8 weeks with most withering and only a few shoots of new growth.

So looking for another carpet plant.  Any suggestions?

#33 Stu

Stu

Forum Regular

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Marsilea Hirsuta ?

#34 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostStu, on 07 February 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Marsilea Hirsuta ?

Thats definitely and option.  Just going through the Green machine carpets.  Looking also at

Utricularia Graminifolia
Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Glossostigma elatinoides

The UG has an interesting look to it.  Has anybody had any experience growing any of these?

I have pressurized Co2, at least 10 x turnover of flow, soil substrate and EI daily ferts and two 45w T5s over 160 litres.  In thoery I should be covered though still not fit to grow HC.

#35 Stu

Stu

Forum Regular

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

i'm lead to believe that UG is right up there in terms of difficulty.

#36 Ivan

Ivan

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

its a pitty you giving up on hc. its actually an easy plant to grow if you give it what it wants.
I found when i planted my hc at first it almost died and there were almost no new growth. I did a waterchange and added seachem equilibrium. Withing a week i started to see new growth and healthy shoots. since then its been a delight for me to grow HC.

With the 3 carpets your looking into. i would suggest Eleocharis sp. 'mini' looking at your tank specs. UG and glosso needs high light and hc aswell. i normally go for 1w / litre. then i know im safe for ground covers.

Edited by Ivan, 07 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

#37 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Some pics.  I gave the EP and V a trim yesterday.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some new HC growth

Posted Image

My black neons appear more sensitive to the CO2 as they are the only fish that head to the surface.  I've turned the CO2 down twice but one of them died.  I also lost two amano shrimp.  When the shrimp flop onto their side is this due to CO2?

I've also added a koralia 900 powerhead for more flow.

#38 Ivan

Ivan

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

how new is the aquasoil? I also lost a few fish and some shrimp when i added a new bag of aquasoil to my scape. and found that it was the amonia leeching of aquasoil that killed them. Are you adding anything for N in the range of NPK?
Posted Image

#39 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

The florabase is new from start of setup.  I did a large water change every day for two weeks and since twice a week.  The rest of the fish appear fine and my Otocinclus just added in the last week seem fine.  Though I haven't tested for ammonia.  I'm fairly certain co2 is to blame.

I'm EI dosing so adding NPK.  Now my ph is really low.  24h from tap sits about 6.4 and will drop further in the tank over several days.  For that reason i have coral chips in my external to keep it a steady 6.4. I never measured GH/KH but I suspect it's low.  

Maybe a low GH is the reason the HC isn't growing.  It's not something I've ever read about concerning plant growth needing minerals like seachem equilibrium.

#40 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Think ill get a GH tester and see we're I stand.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iwagumi, sort of.