Your Aquarium Resource Center

Quality assistance, current developments for advancement of aquarists
Tropical fish, aquatic plants, brackish tanks, marine, nano reefs

Sexing L200 (Hemiancistrus Subviridis) & L128 (Hemiancistrus Sp.)

maybe one for mike

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

right after reading and reading and reading about how to sex these plecs i am thinking i have a group of 3 females and 1 male. the obvious male is very bushy as can be seen in the pic below
Posted Image

all of the others which are all roughly the same size show no growth like this as can be seen below. when i bought them from Rare aquatics they were sold as 3 males and 1 female with the one pictured below as the female.....
Posted Image

non of the others have any growth in comparrison to the first pic which makes me think they are females....... can anyone confirm this for me please?
Posted Image
Posted Image

i dont have a pic of the 3rd but its very much like the 2 above..... ill get a pic asap.

ok now for the L128. these are slightly smaller than the L200 above. im thinking the first pic is male and the other female..... can anyone confirm this please?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationNorthallerton, UK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, picture 1 is male and 2-4 are female. Similarly with the 128's I think the first is a young male and the second is female.

How are they all doing since you got them? I really want some :) found some a couple days ago but didnt get them chose to get something a little different but it was costly at three times the price of a high fin :(

#3 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

they have been great. ive had them a while now with no issues at all. the very spotty female is boss of them all (pic 2) and if anything is a bit of a bully towards the others but nothing serious. they are wild caught from Rare aquatics and are very healthy and eating very well. im off there next saturday to get some more but want to keep the sex mix good which is why i put this on just to confirm what i have already.

ive also got 2 very nice younger L200 (subs) in my planted tank but unfortunately they are still too small to go in with these beasts.....

they are a cracking fish and have always been one of my favorite plecs. cracking colours and dont get huge like some of the others so a group can be kept without needing a monster tank. ill probably be getting another male and female L200 and another couple of female L128 giving me a mixed group of 10 plecs. should make for a good set up i think :hairy:

#4 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

have you seen the black ones at RA? I noticed theyd all come into stock and almost bought a group of hi fins then didnt once id seen the black one. Should be turning up next week

#5 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

black L200? is it unhappy/ill/still settling in or just a different variant?

they have a yellow L200 thats reserved for me but apparently its not settling in that well..... im going up next saturday to pick up some more green L200 and L128 so ill look out for the black one...

#6 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

It's on their site under new stock as Hemiancistrus sp. Black phantom,  looks to be a colour morph but it has no spots. The 128 was thought of as a morph but now has it's own number so this could be a related but different fish :)
It's on order and should ship late next week to arrive on saturday so I'll let you know and post some pics once it's here and again once settled a bit.

I was going to do the same as you with a big group but saw this and had to have it, the group can wait cos they'll come back up again, who knows if a black one will. Just a shame I could only get the one as I'd have bought more if I could :(

#7 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

is it the only one they had? be sure to post some pics.......

did you see the yellow phantom at all?

#8 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

just looked on the RA site and they look great mate. i may be bringing one home if they have any left.......

#9 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Unlikely if your going this weekend but I'm hoping there will be some more next time I get paid, while it would make a nice centre peice I'd love to get a couple more. can you imagine breeding those?

Not sure how many they've got dont think the website has a stock counter and I didn't call them, didn't even cross my mind after I'd seen it lol

#10 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

ill cross my fingers they still have one, very unusual......

its gonna be a very expensive trip i feel!!!!!!!

#11 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

I daren't go there in person lol I'd spend so much, they're stocking selection is great

#12 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

ive been once before but have ordered online many times. i do prefer to pick my own fish tbh but as its such a drive away postage is easier some times!

the shop isnt huge but they have a huge selection of great fish. they have a very big tank with all the xxxxxl plecs in like panaques, luteus etc etc etc very very nice but demanding huge prices for some of them.

im looking forward to saturday but my bank balance isnt.....

#13 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Did you see that plec they wanted 1k for? Think its 750 now. Hefty tags on some of them but quality stock

#14 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

yes the blue eyed panaque. i saw it on our last visit and tbh it looked crap..... one for the real serious plec keeper i feel. it has come down quite a bit in price as you say which is no suprise. i heard that Rare and Pier have a few price battles going on now and then so prices do change from time to time!!!! i dont know if there is any truth in it but if a fish is £1K at Rare and £750 at Pier then i know whee i would go if i wanted that fish.....

#15 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Just had a call from RA to say they won't be shipping this weekend due to bad weather and some problems with a shipment of boxes they got :(
Grab me some pics when your there :)

#16 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

ok mate no worries mate

#17 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

it seems that Rare have given the so called black phantom an L number now L261 (Pseudancistrus pectegenitor) so not a Hemiancistrus sp. Black phantom anymore!!!!!!

http://www.planetcat...?species_id=609

#18 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Boo...that's not what I signed up for...might call and cancel see if they'll send me some barys instead

scratch that theres a new plan...rio orinoco biotope...to the drawing board!!!

Edited by Justaerin, 06 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#19 mattlee

mattlee

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

ill get you some pics tomorrow mate so you can get a decent look at them.

#20 Justaerin

Justaerin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Thanks Matt, much appreciated.