Your Aquarium Resource Center

Quality assistance, current developments for advancement of aquarists
Tropical fish, aquatic plants, brackish tanks, marine, nano reefs

Making An Old 2Nd Hand Tank To Look Pretty. Challenges....

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#21 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Decisions, decisions..
Well I tested the fluidized sand bed filter hooked to the Eheim. There's no way that filter can give enough power to it.
I have to figure something else in this case.

#22 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I set up the filters today and started cycling. I stole a bag of noodles from my other external and put it in the new APS. I totally hate the green pipes on the Eheim. I have a temporary DIY spraybar attached from my old APS filter but as soon as I can I'll get black intake and outlet.  I am wondering what's the best way the two filters so I can have equal flow and also floating plants because in my other tank without a spraybar the floaters get too much and aren't doing their best as they get wet constantly.
If anyone has set a flow like this, spraybars along the back, will I need a powerhead additionally I wonder for the bottom somewhere. I am also afraid the Eheim may not be powerful enough to clean its side of the tank but we'll see.

Here it is at the moment with no lights and substrate yet. The wood is just thrown in there to soak but needs better positioning probably but I agree with Guerrero, it will stay on the left side.

Posted Image

And the ripples of the spraybars
Posted Image

Edited by snazy, 21 February 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#23 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Regarding floating plants, I would try turning the spraybars just slightly to face more towards the substrate. Even if you have one pointing down at the substrate making no ripples at all on the surface and the other giving a little surface agitation, you should still have enough for whatever fish you're planning. I do this with my planted tank as obviously I don't want to gas off the CO2 I'm injecting, while I don't want to gas the fish either...
This way, the floating plants can at least grow on the side with no surface agitation :)
If you'd like, I can get a picture/take a short video of mine.

Claire

Now gone salty! Follow my journey into the salty side here.

Posted Image

#24 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks Claire. I would love a picture just to see how you've set them up exactly. Will I need a powerhead you think. There's dust from the wood and it's been many hours now, here is where it's gathered:

Left side:
Posted Image

Right side:

Posted Image

So I am guessing this type of setup either needs extra powerheads somewhere(have no clue where) or I need to change it somehow.

#25 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Try fiddling about with the spray bars/nozzles you have just now while you have the time. Try lots of different combinations while the tank is cycling to try and get a setup that works well. What works for one person may not work for another. I'll grab a quick couple of pics or something once I'm back at my place on Monday to let you see how I've got mine. I've got a powerhead running too, but that's more to help get more CO2 down to the substrate for my carpeting plants :)

Claire

Posted Image

#26 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

I don't have any nozzles with these filters, cheap stuff :) The other option I can try is to put both outlets without spraybars on one side pushing water along the surface towards the opposite/short side of the glass instead where it will bounce and travel towards the bottom back to where it all started from. That's almost how I have the flow in my other tank at the moment but the problem with it is, being a too long tank the flow on the way back gets totally obstructed unless there's no plants or decor. And also the floating plants all get killed on the one side where the flow hits the glass.
I put a piece of paper on both sides to see how it goes and it went straight for the intakes depending on which side I dropped it but the driftwood dust won't move, I guess that's gravity talking. At the moment, the spraybar flow hits the front glass and travels towards the back along the bottom but not necessarily into the filter intakes because the sprayers are positioned straight along the back. How do I make it go to the intakes then if I keep the spraybars? I tried putting the spraybars at an angle but then I get no surface movement and nothing changes much.  Or should I get a small powerhead or two to increase the flow, let's say,  placing them in between the spraybars in the middle of the tank at slightly downward and angled way facing the sides a bit so the flow still hits the front glass again but at an angle and hopefully pushes the dust towards the intakes?

Either way, I won't get it perfect. I am waiting for pictures :) Thanks.
As soon as I get the lights I'll "plant" the floating plants :P

Edited by snazy, 23 February 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#27 claire

claire

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

I took a couple of pictures today but they're not very clear now I've put them on the computer... I'll try taking a quick video tomorrow and see if that comes up any better.

Claire

Posted Image

#28 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Thanks Claire. Whenever you get a chance, no rush :)

#29 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

I am cycling the tank blind at the moment. I ran out of tests last week so I've no idea what's happening in there, but the ammonia had gone down twice. I just dose up some more when I feel like it :) Isn't it a great way to cycle a tank, no worries :P
That soil has proven difficult to dry around here too, only 3rd wash/drying now, one to go.
There's a delay with the LED unit, so can't plant it anyway.

I moved the driftwood again on the other side, since there's nothing more to scape with :lol:
I have two sets of stones, mostly freebies but I don't like them so now I've set my mind on a third type.
I still need to setup the fluidised sand bed filter. I got an Eheim pump instead that can be placed outside the tank. I just need to get pipings and figure out the inlet and outlet and which side of the tank to place them at. The good part is that the filter can go into one side of the cabinet along with any of the externals, it's so small and narrow, but thankfully very productive for bio.

And I am thinking to keep my grown up baby cories instead of selling them and make this tank a cory heaven for now :wub: The tank is 100G minus substrate and driftwood.  How many can I fit considering I want some middle swimmers like 10-ish forktail rainbows and possibly a few of my platies, some ottos(3-4) and eventually some shrimp.
I don't know what I'll do with the bristlenose. He is so cute but is so destructive I am sure he'll dig holes and plants all around the place.

Edited by snazy, 06 March 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#30 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well, it will be the freebie stones. The only place that can deliver the other ones to me is totally overpriced.
I can't find a sand/natural gravel that is rounded and is 1-2mm big so I'll take the plunge and put my usual quartz sand instead. At least I know it doesn't compact and doesn't create gas bubbles.

#31 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Here is the clay i am going to use. Its natural red earthenware clay with no additives,supposedly high in iron. I tried dissolving it but it won't work easily so now i'll try drying it and crushing it into powder.

Posted Image

#32 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

And the fluidized sand bed filter is finally connected as well. I decided to put it at the back of the tank.

The pump is luckily quiet
Posted Image

It made it up to the required level between the lines with no leaks yet.

Posted Image

Don't take any notice of the green outlet :wacko: It needs to be replaced with something more pleasing the eye but i am not sure wether to get a spray bar or a nozzle/lily. And the water is like black tea from the driftwood...horrible sight
Posted Image

Edited by snazy, 09 March 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#33 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Also, the flow of the pump is not turned to maximum so i have room for more devices. I am thinking to install one of the APS filter boosters to act as mechanical prefilter to the fluidized sand bed. This way i probably won't have to clean the filter itself at all,maybe once a year.  At the moment I just have the standard eheim prefilter that connects to the inlet. It seems like a waste of pump power if i can't use it all. So all this will give me 4250L/H total flow in filtration combined with the other two filters,which is just a bit over 10xtank volume per hr. This is per manufacturer's specs. Theoretically this should handle a bioload of way more fish than all the fish i have in my other 4 tanks combined, if i felt like piling fish like biscuits inside one tank :wacko:

Edited by snazy, 09 March 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#34 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Lol at piling fish like biscuits. I'm enjoying reading about your progress with the DIY projects. Keep up the good (and by the sound of it, hard) work!

Posted Image

Check Out my Tank Journal

340L (90g) Planted Tank

6 x Angelfish, 3 x Bolivian Ram, 2 x Bristlenose Plec, 10 x Sterbai Cory, 3 x Espei Rasbora, 4 x Rummynose Tetra, 2 x Nerite Snails

#35 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

I feel like total newb with this tank. I haven't even planned a scape and I've no idea what plants I want, or rather what may grow in a low tech.
Anyway, I thought I'll post a picture of my nice brown water at the moment. People pay money to get it so brown :P

Posted Image

#36 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Love the extra sparkle from the camera :P

#37 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

You could probably sell that water to Kuro.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#38 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostWetElbow, on 12 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

:lol:

#39 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostWetElbow, on 12 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

pfft oh please I got my 300 alder cones yesturday brewed me up some tannins I got this stuff on demand now :D Soooooooo happy. Also doesn't effect my ph I guess I got stone water. xD

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#40 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

@ Kuro. I've loaded my private plane with nice brown European water and sent it to you. You should receive it in a 5-6 hours :P

So it turns out I won't have the lights for another week and a half, so its going slow at the moment. I am still wash/drying the soil and I've been getting raised eyebrows at home :lol:
I changed the outlet for aesthetic purposes and moved the sand bed filter down. I left it out so I can see all the time as I am new to this and want to see what will happen once the bacteria bulds up.

The filter is below the tank now next to the pump. For the record, due to it being connected to a pump,  it's totally easy to stop, disconnect the pipes and move it. I didn't spill a drop.
Posted Image

And my new spraybar, just hanging over the other spraybar. I am not sure where to put that thing without having 10 000 pipes at the back of the tank. I don't have a background so I am trying to keep it as tidy as possible. It's a bit bulky on the side though. I didn't want to spend money on a black intake, so that ugly green one is still there.

Posted Image

I've turned up the temperature to 30C so that water is evaporating fast and I am too lazy to top it up.
And I've managed to move pest snails in the tank already. I suspect the filter media :mad:

Edited by snazy, 16 March 2013 - 12:34 AM.