#1 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, England

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have a 88 Litre tank which has 2 Albino Bristlenose Plecos, a male and a female.
Today when I got up I found eggs and I am prosuming its theres, But I also have 4 lemon tetras and 5 cardinal tetras but I only got them on sunday plus the eggs are quite big. I also have a peppered cory and panda cory but I doubt it is theres.
I found them just on the sand in the bottom of the tank:

Posted Image

There have been eggs in my old tank like this but they just floated around the bottom of the tank untill they dissapered.
Any help would be appriciated regarding weather the eggs are fertile and what to do.

Posted Image

#2 Baccus

Baccus

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCentral Queensland

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Look to be fertile bristle nose eggs, you can put them in either a container with an airstone or a suspended net near your filter return so that the eggs get plenty of water movement around them.
Once they hatch the fry have a large yolk sack that can take a couple of days to be absorbed, once that is used up you can start giving them wafers and other usual bristnose food. I also often put some live plants like elodea in the net with the fry so they can eat micro foods as soon as they are ready and able too. I often also put in with the fry a small piece of well aged timber/ wood that has been in my tank for a long time, this way the developing fry can begin rasping at timber as soon as they are able, also it will have mirco foods on it as well.
"Ánimals are Brethren, they are not underlings, they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life" Henry Beston

#3 Xingu

Xingu

• Section Advisor
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDubai

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostBaccus, on 16 August 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Look to be fertile bristle nose eggs, you can put them in either a container with an airstone or a suspended net near your filter return so that the eggs get plenty of water movement around them.
Once they hatch the fry have a large yolk sack that can take a couple of days to be absorbed, once that is used up you can start giving them wafers and other usual bristnose food. I also often put some live plants like elodea in the net with the fry so they can eat micro foods as soon as they are ready and able too. I often also put in with the fry a small piece of well aged timber/ wood that has been in my tank for a long time, this way the developing fry can begin rasping at timber as soon as they are able, also it will have mirco foods on it as well.

Agree, good post.

Well done on the spawn

#4 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Cool by a net I take it u mean one of those breeder nets, I will get   one asap, at the moment they are in a breeder trap

Posted Image

#5 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

How long does it take the eggs to hatch, I take it any see through eggs are not fertilized

Posted Image

#6 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

More eggs!
Came home to more eggs on the bottom

Posted Image

#7 Baccus

Baccus

• PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCentral Queensland

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Like so many things water temp plays a large part on how long any eggs will take to hatch, and its been so long since my main breeding male bristlenose has accidentially knocked eggs out of his breeding hollow that I have forgotten how long it takes for the eggs to hatch.
Once the eggs do hatch the fry generally start leaving the "nesting hollow" that was guarded by their father, after approximately 3 days. So once the eggs you have rescued hatch keep an on the rest of your tank for any other fry that hatched from eggs still tended to by the male.
The fry will also have  a tendancy to congregate in the corners of the tank or breeding net.

I will warn you if the female is left in the tank with the male then roughly every month you can end up with more spawnings and each spawning can easily contain 100+ eggs, therefore I would recomend that once you have the fry if possible put the female in another tank so that both she and the male can replenish thier reserves while giving the fry a chance to grow up enough to be sellable size.
"Ánimals are Brethren, they are not underlings, they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life" Henry Beston

#8 TwoTankAmin

TwoTankAmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Use a solid breeder trap not a net. Other fish can a do suck the yolks sac out through the mesh. Also get a cave for the plecos. The dads are great and tend the eggs and raise the fry until they are free swimming. They like tight spaces, so select a small cave. As they grow you can upgrade to a larger size.

When bn first start breeding they will have about 20-25 eggs, as they grow the numbers increase to as many as a 100+.

#9 Dieses Madchen

Dieses Madchen

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

Those are def. BN eggs, and they should take 4-7 days to hatch (thats about how long mine took) and to go along with what others have stated, you can expect to find more spawns in the future. The first batch I had was about 20 eggs. I have 50 fry right now from more recent spawn. Good luck with your eggs :)

GUN TOTIN REDNECK CHICK

75g: 2 Green Terrors, 2 Severums (temporary) 3 Syno. Eupteras ** 75g: 9 Yellow Labs, 7 Blue Zebras, 8 Hap. Sp. 35 Tomato, Royal Plec
55g: 2 Jack Dempseys, 200+ JD Fry, 1 Albino BN fry

#10 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostTwoTankAmin, on 16 August 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Use a solid breeder trap not a net. Other fish can a do suck the yolks sac out through the mesh. Also get a cave for the plecos. The dads are great and tend the eggs and raise the fry until they are free swimming. They like tight spaces, so select a small cave. As they grow you can upgrade to a larger size.

When bn first start breeding they will have about 20-25 eggs, as they grow the numbers increase to as many as a 100+.

I have a slate tunnel with one entrance but for some reason they were left out in the open.

Posted Image

#11 TwoTankAmin

TwoTankAmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

The eggs being out can be due to a couple of things, One is that the cave is too small and the process of spawning results in the eggs beings blown out of the cave, The second is due to the inexperience of the dad and the result is he accidentally blows them out of the cave while trying to tend them. In the second case it is a matter of practice makes perfect. In the first it requires a bit bigger cave.

One thing you can try is to put a flat stone or small piece of slate under the front end of the cave so that it tilts slightly towards the back end. This way if dad bounces the eggs or accidentally fans them the wrong way they will be more likely to roll back and not out.

#12 panda_cory

panda_cory

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ok Thanks, I dont think it is to small probably just the dad.

Posted Image