#1 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationNow about 80% in Montreal, Canada

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but I am finally getting ready, having the hard ware together and also the fish.

I am going to use rocks for this scape, a first for me. I don't want to call it an iwagumi; I am more after recreating a landscape in one of my favourite countries Vietnam. In the north of Vietnam, there are landscapes in which you find single mountains/rock formations surrounded by rice fields. At the base of the elevation in the landscape you will find some trees/bushes and then the rock towers majestically over what is further a rather flat landscape.

For this scape I will use a 6 gallon rimless

Posted Image
DSC00301 by Biulu, on Flickr

with some of the following rocks:

Posted Image
DSC00303 by Biulu, on Flickr

I brought these rocks from Vietnam, so they are authentic! I am only not sure whether I will be able to create enough height with the rocks I have.

I will be using Caribsea Voodoo river substrate, topped up with Tahitian moon sand. The Voodoo river I will mix with laterite to add some nutrients to the substrate.

Fish wise I have planned the following: B. brigittae, shrimp and maybe 1 betta. I am not sure about the latter because he might snack on the shrimp.

For plants I am a bit limited here unfortunately, but my current thinking is to use anubia barteri 'petite' around the base of the rocks to represent the trees/shrubs, and c. tenellus for the rice fields. I also want to try glosso on the 'lower slopes'. Another possibility is staurogyne.

For the lighting I am thinking of some puck led lights. I like the Ikea ones, but unfortunately they only come in 2700 K , which is too yellow for my liking. I want a LED light between 6500 and 10,000 K. I will be going to home depot tomorrow to see if they have day light LEDs.

I will be doing dosing EI and liquid carbon.

Any suggestions, especially plantwise are welcome. After the lights, I will start playing with some possible hard scapes.

#2 ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

following!

#3 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Cool start.  Can't wait to see your scape. :thumbsup:
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#4 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • LocationNottinghamshire

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Rimless tanks look amazeballs!!

Posted Image

#5 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys; off to the store now to get some goodies! It looks like it will be hard to get the lights I want as most are being sold as 'ambiance' lighting, which means they have warm light LEDs. Anyway, will be getting the tahitian moon sand....

#6 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I did not choose the best day for shopping; we had a snowstorm here in Montreal, starting with hail and later amounting to about 10 cm of snow! And I rely upon public transport.... Anyway, as I had reserved the day for that, I went anyway.

The result:

Posted Image
DSC00307 by Biulu, on Flickr

In terms of small plants, the smallest I could find was blyxa:

Posted Image
DSC00304 by Biulu, on Flickr

Nice, but I think it will grow too tall for my purpose. It might almost reach the same height as the rock! :geek:

Luckily we have some plant freaks in the Ottawa club so I posted a request for plants there. I hope to be able to get some on April 28 when there is a large auction here in Montreal where several Ottawa members attend.

Regarding the lights: no luck... :no:  I had called several stores beforehand only to find out that they didn't have anything of 6000 K or above. I went to another one, Reno depot, and I will not advise anybody to go there; they did not even know what Kelvin means! So that was pretty disappointing.

I will now expand my search to internet. In the worst case scenario, I can always use a screw on lamp I have. It is good for plants, but it is 220V and I would need to use a converter with it. I have this lamp still in Mexico so this would delay the project.

#7 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Did some research on Ebay regarding LED lamps and I found this:
http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item53f77e5141

I know it is not meant to be used for growing plants, but it gives nice bright white light and I could easily install it above the tank. What do you guys think? Would it be overkill? Would it serve the purpose?

#8 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Lmfao. That is soooooooooo gonna ruin it. Haha.

Posted Image

#9 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postminnnt, on 15 April 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Lmfao. That is soooooooooo gonna ruin it. Haha.

:hmm: Poor me....

#10 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

The tank is only 40 cm long, so the conventional lights with brackets don't fit. What about this one: http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3a802063d6

The only problem might be on how to attach it as it seems to be more for submersible application with sucker cups...

This one doesn't look bad and I could buy 2 of these and simply stick them on the under side of the shelf above:

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item460bc070eb

Edited by Biulu, 15 April 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#11 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Here, I used these Lu:

http://item.mobilewe...Id=390556271245

I had two in place on my 30x12x15" and used one on my 24x12x15". They're amazing bits of kit.

Posted Image

#12 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Really? I have a Dymax on another tank and I feel it wouldn't be good enough to grow a carpeting plant. Do you have experience with yours growing a carpeting plant?

#13 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

If you're looking for a cheap LED light that is pretty bright then this one has to be considered. They are excellent.

Here is a 'before and after'

Posted Image
FTS by David Raynham, on Flickr

Posted Image
Trial and Error by David Raynham, on Flickr

Edited by minnnt, 16 April 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#14 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just to add, this was a 70 litre tank. Yours is only a 6g (US?) So one will be fine imo.

Posted Image

#15 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yes, mine is a 6 US gallon, around 20 litre. It does look good and it would be a cheap option.

Regarding the plants: I have contacted some fellow hobbyists in Ottawa that are very much into plants and have much more than the average stores here. According to them tenellus and staurogyne look very similar which surprises me. Anyway, they sent me some pictures and in the pictures they do look surprisingly similar:

Posted Image
tenellus by Biulu, on Flickr

This is supposed to be tenellus, but it looks large and more like dwarf sagittaria to me. He calls it dwarf chainsword, and isn't that the common name for the sagittaria?

Posted Image
staurogyne by Biulu, on Flickr

This is his staurogyne. I find the leaves to be very long for staurogyne: the ones I have seen are much shorter and seem to be more oval with a small point at the end.

So I am now a bit at a loss of what to do. The anubia petite I can get but it looks like I should change the choice of my other 2 plants. What if I would take glosso instead of the staurogyne? I am afraid though that it will stay lower than the tenellus and it should be a bit longer otherwise it will look like the rice grows higher than the bushes on the hill below the rock formation!

Can anybody confirm me whether this is indeed staurogyne repens and e. tenellus?

#16 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Unfortunately no answers on my previous question... Anyway, I have not been sitting still although it might seem that way. I have been busy trying to source plants. There will be a big auction this Sunday in Montreal and I have arranged that some hobbyists from Ottawa bring me barteri 'petite' and staurogyne. I do need a plan b though plant wise. I will be trying to get ammania sp bonsai, which I know is available in Canada as well to make up for the lack of barteri petite (I will only be getting 2 plants). I do miss the grass type plant though for the rice fields. I would love to get c. parva but they told me that last time they were able to get it, it would be costing 20 dollars a plant whole sale so the shop decided not to buy. I currently have only 1 plant myself but would need about 6 pots. All my other options will get too tall for my scape. I will be getting also a starter culture for hairgrass and I will grow this out emersed and plant it until I can get a hold of something smaller. I can get hc and glosso but I am not too sure about these. Both are lovely plants that could carpet but with their round leaves do not really look like a rice field in my opinion. I might do this though until I get something better. Does anybody have experience with mowing a hairgrass lawn? Edit: For some reason I can no longer make separate paragraphs. Does anybody know how to remedy this? The enter button simply doesn't work anymore....

Edited by Biulu, 25 April 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#17 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

I can't really help mate but from what I've seen staurogyne repens when trimmed looks way different than e. tenellus.
And e. tenellus can grow way bigger than dwarf sagittaria.

Here is my dwarf sagittaria. It's a very low tech tank so it doesn't grow fast at all but it's about 4-5 months old probably and it spreads but doesn't grow big:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNiGXzFVmMM"]]

#18 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

Thanks Snazy! I think that the guy has a different staurogyne species. There exists a Staurogyne Porto Velho which much larger leaves once submersed and that might be the one he has. I was told by the same person that his dwarf sagittaria is very invasive and has been growing very tall. Maybe it has to do with the fact that he has a dirt tank and from my own experience I know that sagittaria is a root feeder. Anyhow, I did get some blyxa the other day and I might be using that for the time being until I can get c.parva.

#19 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Today I got my plant order from Ottawa; there was a big auction in Montreal today (around 1200 lots!) and I had ordered plants with some fellow hobbyists that would attend the auction. This is what I got: Posted Image
DSC00332 by Biulu, on Flickr This is Ammania sp 'bonsai Posted Image
DSC00333 by Biulu, on Flickr Staurogyne Posted Image
DSC00334 by Biulu, on Flickr And my favourite: barteri 'petite'

#20 ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Any updates now that the plants are in?