47 replies to this topic

#41 Tolak

Tolak

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

A few questions, how much is $1.50 worth of blackworms, shotglass, teaspoon, or what?  Second, did you rinse the worms before putting them in?  Was the sand rinsed before using it?  Where were these worms obtained from?  

I sell blackworms on the side; http://organicblackworms.com/ Besides tossing an ounce or two into tanks on a regular basis I've got customers who will load up a tank with them if they will be away for several days.  They don't have problems like this, neither do I, I'm wondering if it isn't taking time for the filter to catch up to the bio load, an iffy supply, a substrate issue or what.  I've found that if you don't have a really fine pore sponge they will reside in the foam. I've had them come out & snack on extra bbs in angel fry tanks when I've added a filter that has been running in a tank with worms.

If you're in Cali contact my supplier; http://www.aquaticfo...CustomersM.html he'll be more than willing to help you with this.  I get in 25 pounds every 10-14 days, and keep them refrigerated, but I know others have kept them in tanks before without issues.
Posted Image

#42 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostTolak, on 02 May 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

A few questions, how much is $1.50 worth of blackworms, shotglass, teaspoon, or what?  Second, did you rinse the worms before putting them in?  Was the sand rinsed before using it?  Where were these worms obtained from?  

I sell blackworms on the side; http://organicblackworms.com/ Besides tossing an ounce or two into tanks on a regular basis I've got customers who will load up a tank with them if they will be away for several days.  They don't have problems like this, neither do I, I'm wondering if it isn't taking time for the filter to catch up to the bio load, an iffy supply, a substrate issue or what.  I've found that if you don't have a really fine pore sponge they will reside in the foam. I've had them come out & snack on extra bbs in angel fry tanks when I've added a filter that has been running in a tank with worms.

If you're in Cali contact my supplier; http://www.aquaticfo...CustomersM.html he'll be more than willing to help you with this.  I get in 25 pounds every 10-14 days, and keep them refrigerated, but I know others have kept them in tanks before without issues.

Lets see... the 1.50$ got me 1 ounce of black worms. I did not rince the worms as I didn't know if rinsing them with clorinated water would kill them, I added them straight into the dechlorinated tank. THen BAM Filthy. Next 5 water changes and its finally cleaned up.

I bought mine from Jojo's aquarium here in Sacramento CA

I think it was the not rincing part, When I got them they pulled out this metal container that they say they rince out their worms daily and feed them on flake and shrimp pellets.

The sand was rinsed but I think it had to do with me not rinsing them I'll remember to do this in the future.

I'll be keeping mine in a unheated aquarium because I'd not want to add them into the fridge as I live with multiple people and  i think they'd be angry to find worms next to their food. The water in the tank rests around 72 degree's so hopefully this is cool enough to not push their metabolism too fast. I intend to feed the worms once every 3 days depending on if all the food is gone.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#43 Tolak

Tolak

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I rinse them daily & don't feed, keep them refrigerated.  I've got a couple beat up Salvation Army refrigerators in the basement, shelves pulled out, bins stacked up.  A few pounds in a bin don't look as bad as your tank does if I rinse them daily, I'll bet it has to do with them being fed.  They go through a fasting & cleaning process before being shipped, without this they will be pretty murky.

Posted Image

#44 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostTolak, on 02 May 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I rinse them daily & don't feed, keep them refrigerated.  I've got a couple beat up Salvation Army refrigerators in the basement, shelves pulled out, bins stacked up.  A few pounds in a bin don't look as bad as your tank does if I rinse them daily, I'll bet it has to do with them being fed.  They go through a fasting & cleaning process before being shipped, without this they will be pretty murky.

Ah alright thanks for that info. I'll make sure to watch out for water quality while I'm owning them. I plan on having this as a little farm so I wont have to buy any more. So if I fail I'll try again till I get it right because I think its cool idea to feed my fish live food that I raised. I'll see about feeding them few days before water change so incase water does get murky from it I can clean it out on the following water change.

Few sources say they eat their dead and thats how they can survive so long specially when kept at colder temperatures their metabolism drops dramatically... SO hopefully with a few weeks I can get the hang of owning these little things because I've had a lot of positive activity in my fish thanks to the live black worms, specially with my apistogramma.

*edit* Btw thanks for the above links~ I shall make sure to look into them ^_^

Edited by Kuro, 02 May 2013 - 10:15 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#45 Tolak

Tolak

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I sell them like crazy at swaps, 40 or more pounds in 4 hours at a busy one.  Breeders buy them up, you'll see a definite difference.  Keeping them cold does lower their metabolism, similar to pond fish that winter over in colder climates.

Posted Image

#46 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I was reading once about them and they can be  be kept in a filterless tank, with light and lots of floating plants to use up the ammonia produced, with substrate on the bottom for them to hide in and fed fish food. You have to start with a healthy batch of a small spoon or so and acclimate them the same way you would fish as they can get a shock, die and you get a smelly tank. They need tropical temperatures as they'll reproduce faster.  The only problem is to trick them to come out to catch them after but some floss with food on top or similar helps.
Think that whatever you feed your bloodworms, will benefit the fish they are fed too. Starved refrigerated blood worms that are never fed may not be nutritious at all.

#47 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postsnazy, on 03 May 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

I was reading once about them and they can be  be kept in a filterless tank, with light and lots of floating plants to use up the ammonia produced, with substrate on the bottom for them to hide in and fed fish food. You have to start with a healthy batch of a small spoon or so and acclimate them the same way you would fish as they can get a shock, die and you get a smelly tank. They need tropical temperatures as they'll reproduce faster.  The only problem is to trick them to come out to catch them after but some floss with food on top or similar helps.
Think that whatever you feed your bloodworms, will benefit the fish they are fed too. Starved refrigerated blood worms that are never fed may not be nutritious at all.

Well I got these little fellows in a cold filtered tank, with java moss which is a plant that can grow in cold water. So I'm hoping they'll start thriving, they also have only have 1/2 of the tank to hide in 1/2 of an inch of sand. I also created some divets for them to collect in which seems to of had worked. I have 3 divets and three collectable area.s I'm very happy. Only issue now I'm running into is my darn filter is so dang loud and annoying little piece of garbage keeps making too much noise. Thankfully the tank is reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 7ph.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#48 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

So... one week later after feeding live black worms to my fish.

My cichlids bred. (Which was an amazing experience though no surviving fry~)

My adf's actually bred.

My betta fish has increased in color dramatically, his blues are much more vibrant and the reds in his fine are so much more red, while his fin over look is very strong, compared to his pellet and veggy diet.

The culture is still going, though I did an ammonia test it came out to 3ppm, so I did an imediate 100% change, added in a filter pads from my tank, and yeah now the tests are clear. These worms are a bit filthier then expected so I intend to do water changes every 3 days. Minimum.

Edit Also with their sand substrate, I find sucking up a bunch of water, pushing the tip of the baster into the bottom of the sand, and blowing water into it very fast, this blows the live worms up and you can easily collect them in free swim without any sand being collected, pour the water through a fish net, and put the fish net into the tank and they will wiggle through the net for the fish to collect at their excited time.

Edited by Kuro, 08 May 2013 - 05:26 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image