#1 AndrewM

AndrewM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hello AQC,

I generally only hang out in T's IRC and chat there but I figured I'd get a bit more active on the forums here since the other place I originally met everyone on is now a cess pit :)

I've had a 75G planted aquarium running for about 2 years now and when I originally set it up, I'll be honest, I knew nothing about how to maintain a planted aquarium and thus I began seeking advice. My plants never really grew properly and I was pretty ignorant on how to maintain a planted aquarium as a whole. Let me show you folks some pictures of my planted tank from a while back;

(PLEASE IGNORE TIME-STAMPS, MY CAMERA IS EMO AND RESETS THE DATE WHEN IT TURNS OFF)

This is how my aquarium looked for about 6 months while it was infested with BBA because I did not properly dose the required nutrients (thank you job!), keep in mind, the tank was properly established and was still running great, no fish deaths (I haven't had any in over a year), it was simply an infestation of BBA (kinda like those annoying ants at your picnic, or the one cousin who comes to visit that always likes to talk about your least favorite sports team).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not so good looking right? I know, but hey, I was new!

I've been pretty good friends with Mik (section mod here) for a while now and we originally met on the Cess Pit. She was good with plants and I was good with computers (which she sometimes needed help with hers), Mik was pretty much the only plant geek that I met that was willing to help me get my tank straight over a period of time.

When I met her she helped me get the required lighting on my aquarium (previously I was on less than 1W/gal) and she helped me build a 154W CFL DIY hood and now I have over 2W per gallon, then came the BBA... BBA is a slow creeper and I didn't notice how bad it had gotten until a couple of months down the road when my plants were pretty much covered in it. So she helped me diagnose my BBA problem (which was due to ferts) and she gave me a dosing guide and I bought dry ferts from GLA. I then slowly pruned all of my plants of BBA and scraped it all off my walls. Here is where we are at today;

(ALL CRYPTS, FERNS, & FLOATERS WERE GIVEN TO ME BY MIK)

The crypts are finally starting to show adequate growth the other plants she shipped me are also doing quite fantastic. Please bare in mind that a lot of the plants will look naked due to the mass pruning I had to do in order to rid my aquarium of BBA. It also looks a tad bit disorganized, but obviously my main priority was to get them to grow right before aquascaping.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyhow, it's still a work in progress and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read. :)

Edited by AndrewM, 15 May 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#2 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Tank looks great.  Really clean.  Just need a FTS now to keep us happy.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#3 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Very nice.
I wish my water lettuce grew in my tank. I got a piece and it's struggling.
Well done on fighting off the BBA, the ugliest type of algae after green spot.

#4 AndrewM

AndrewM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostWetElbow, on 14 May 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Tank looks great.  Really clean.  Just need a FTS now to keep us happy.
Full frontal added ;)

View Postsnazy, on 14 May 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Very nice.
I wish my water lettuce grew in my tank. I got a piece and it's struggling.
Well done on fighting off the BBA, the ugliest type of algae after green spot.

Thanks! It was really easy to get rid of once I got everything that I actually needed, it's never a good idea to combat algae without having all of the weapons at the same time.

My water lettuce really took off as soon as I put it in the aquarium, I've actually had to move some of it to my fry aquariums.

#5 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationNow about 80% in Montreal, Canada

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

I like this; a very clean look! I am sure that with the current regime this tank will be a jungle in no time!

#6 AndrewM

AndrewM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostBiulu, on 15 May 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

I like this; a very clean look! I am sure that with the current regime this tank will be a jungle in no time!

Thank you!

That's what I'm aiming for with the Val and Hygro, they are very fast growers and are really large plants. I have about 6 wendtiis and 4 java ferns planted in the front row as well to give it some variety (specifically the color variety from the brown wendtiis). (As well as a few anubias and some star grass that was given to me by Mik).

Thanks again everyone for the comments!

#7 Mikaila31

Mikaila31

• Section Advisor
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationMaplewood, MN

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

HAHAH Thanks for the compliments andrew! :blush:  I do love how your tank is coming along! I can't wait to see if fill out even more.

I'm only an adviser but thats more then enough lol.

Edited by Mikaila31, 15 May 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#8 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

wow, I have problems with BBA myself so I know how hard it is to get rid of. I have no trouble getting my plants to grow I just wish the algae would bugger off and stop ruining the look of my tanks!!

I'm currently trying a new regime with lighting. I used to put my lights on around 10am and switch off around 10pm. I now switch on at 5pm and switch off at 10pm. One of my tanks got an outbreak of blue/green algae recently and a 4 day black out (I covered the tank with towels so even natural light couldn't get in there) worked.

Anyway, good luck with the tank, it's looking great :D

#9 AndrewM

AndrewM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostMikaila31, on 15 May 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

I'm only an adviser but thats more then enough lol.
Same Difference :D

View PostAkasha, on 15 May 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

wow, I have problems with BBA myself so I know how hard it is to get rid of. I have no trouble getting my plants to grow I just wish the algae would bugger off and stop ruining the look of my tanks!!

I'm currently trying a new regime with lighting. I used to put my lights on around 10am and switch off around 10pm. I now switch on at 5pm and switch off at 10pm. One of my tanks got an outbreak of blue/green algae recently and a 4 day black out (I covered the tank with towels so even natural light couldn't get in there) worked.

Anyway, good luck with the tank, it's looking great :D

My plants never really grew properly even when dosing seachem flourish, it was mainly due to the fact I had really inadequate lighting and nutrients. After I got my lights and nutrients fixed, my plants spruced up.

Thanks and good luck with your algae, it's a pain!

---

I'll have more photos soon :)