#21 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

It's finally set up! Took about 2 weeks to get myself organised but I'm pleased with the result. I'm sure there will be plenty of adjustments to make as the plants grow in, I had absolutely no plan in mind when I started the hardscape or planting, which is really unlike me!

Please forgive the quality of the pictures I've used my phone on all of these and it doesn't get the exposure right. I'll try to get out my point-and-shoot later this week for better ones.

Hardscape

Posted Image

I must show off my improvised lighting system, since the light unit didn't arrive until Monday. I should point out that the light on the right is held on with masking tape as the bracket for it is broken and is the reason I bought the light on the left haha - lucky! The problem is I got kind of used to the light it gave off and I like it better than the lighting I bought!  :getlost:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So the end product with old lighting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now with the new lights, in situ

Posted Image

The glass is dirty, water too low - not a good look but tank shot with new lights - it's not really accurate as it's over exposed but there ya go...

Posted Image

The crypts are already melting and the dwarf lobelia cardinalis has a couple of leaves looking nasty but hopefully it'll behave itself. Check out the size of the anubias and echinodorus! So pleased with them both - I hope they don't melt.

Some random shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh! My new discovery, don't tell me this is something everyone does. Filter intake on the end of the pipe for refilling - genius!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh and I've obviously come up with a "name" for the tank as well :P Sorry for the long post and stupid number of photos but hopefully you all expect it from me by now - wouldn't want to disappoint ;)

Posted Image

Check Out my Tank Journal

340L (90g) Planted Tank

6 x Angelfish, 3 x Bolivian Ram, 2 x Bristlenose Plec, 10 x Sterbai Cory, 3 x Espei Rasbora, 4 x Rummynose Tetra, 2 x Nerite Snails

#22 Simonas

Simonas

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationWirral

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

look spot on I love that kind of set up
Aquareef 300 In Progress

#23 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Very nice start AoA, looks awesome.

#24 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks guys!

I also meant to say that in the back left corner is cryptocoryne balansae and limnophila aromatica so they will grow tall and fill that side of the tank eventually!

I need to think about fish stock eventually. My angelfish pair, despite having a huge space to establish a territory in, still want the whole tank and are abusing my other two (I think both males but they don't challenge the dominant pair at all). Does anyone think adding another two angels will help?

I also need to add to the espei rasboras and I'd like to get some female Bolivian rams for my two males - anything else would just be a bonus!

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

6 x Angelfish, 3 x Bolivian Ram, 2 x Bristlenose Plec, 10 x Sterbai Cory, 3 x Espei Rasbora, 4 x Rummynose Tetra, 2 x Nerite Snails

#25 Man of Fish

Man of Fish

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Looks very nice!

16 gallon reef- cycling

120 gallon reef- 2 firefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 YWG and pistol shrimp, 1 flame angel, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 eilbls angel,1 soloman fairy wrasse, misbar clown pair, blue regal tang, CUC

I have an MTS problem. I accept that. :)

#26 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks MoF :)

Just a little update from me! Everything seems to be going really well so far. The plants seem like there is only going to be minimal melt and I've got new growth from nearly all of them.

The most exciting thing is that I can already see a huge improvement in the health of my corys. No more ripped bottom fins and their barbels are growing back really fast. They just look far better all round :w00t:  I'm thrilled. Nearly everywhere I looked said that people had no problems with that sand and their corys but it was definitely not the case with mine!

The next fabulous bit of news is that my fish no longer poop! OR the flow is such that I haven't seen a bit of poo since setting the tank up - woooooooooo! I think the Limpopo sand helps to camouflage it as well.

I'll soon be thinking about adding a few more fish. I'm pretty much decided on getting another two angels but I want gold ones to match the 4 I have, fingers crossed my LFS will have them in.

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#27 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

OH MY GOD I love cleaning this tank! It's so freaking easy! Clean the glass, empty and refill - done! Never noticed how much of a PITA cleaning the substrate of my old tanks were. The flow was good in the 180 and it was mostly confined to one corner but this is brilliant :D

I just need to get a pump to make emptying faster. Since the weather has been good it's no problem to syphon out the back door but let's face it, the honeymoon will soon be over and I won't want the door left open lol

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#28 Man of Fish

Man of Fish

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

What makes the flow so much better? Interested as I'm looking for a tank that's a tad smaller (75 gallons) and I believe yours is about 90 gallons. Same footprint just not as tall. I'm selling all my fw tanks for the purpose of this upgrade (as long as my parents allow it :P right now theyre really happy i decided to sell them, they dont know why :P ) and trying to find a good filter for the job.

16 gallon reef- cycling

120 gallon reef- 2 firefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 YWG and pistol shrimp, 1 flame angel, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 eilbls angel,1 soloman fairy wrasse, misbar clown pair, blue regal tang, CUC

#29 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

I've got two tetratec ex1200s in there, one on each side with the spraybar across the back. Tetratec are sold in the US but under a different name which I can't remember. I think the unipac  Limpopo sand helps as it's got different coloured grains and I have a minimalist hardscape as well which helps to prevent dead spots. The fish have been in for two weeks now and I'm not seeing an accumulation anywhere. The tank is lightly stocked so time will tell if adding more fish makes a difference.

On the other hand, I cleaned one of my filters today and it was incredibly clogged up as I hadn't changed it in ages so I expect flow will only improve now.

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#30 Man of Fish

Man of Fish

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Very nice! The name is the marine land C series. As long as the upgrade is approved lol I think ill check it out! Was also looking at the Renas. Tank is looking very nice though keep it up!

16 gallon reef- cycling

#31 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationNow about 80% in Montreal, Canada

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

I have both Marineland C series and Rena filters. I am happier with the Rena but recently I heard that they are no longer providing these filters with spraybars and that is one of the features I love from it as it provides great flow all over the tank.

#32 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Just a little photo update here! The plants are still settling in so while I have lots of new growth I'm also still trimming back old leaves so it doesn't look any different! One problem I've encountered is that lobelia cardinalis dwarf is like candy to my angels and they can't get enough of it and so it looks horrible and they keep pulling it up. It looks like I've got aquatic caterpillars in there.

Posted Image

I'm going to leave it in for now because I really like this plant and the space it fills in the scape.

We'll start with a FTS:

Oh wait, I don't have a FTS because I flipping deleted it! :bug: I'll try to get another one tonight.

Here's some fish!

Isn't she pretty?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for my beautiful male ram - I think he's stunning and I tried sooo hard to get a picture of him for FOTM but he wasn't cooperating. These are the best I could get so I took a quick video as well :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last but not least, I'm really loving this plant! After I took this picture it has started to melt a little, I'm hoping it's just getting used to the tank. I've got some diatoms setting in but so far not too bad :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#33 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Oh and please check out this post with video and photos of my espei rasbora spawning, I'm really pleased with what I got and that they decided to spawn at all! http://www.aqcenter....ning-very-cool/

In the photo above of my female koi angel looking under a leaf - she's actually enjoying some tasty eggs lol

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#34 SaltBum

SaltBum

Forum Regular

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Great Job!

-Tyler

#35 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Time for an update methinks :) Plenty has been going on with this tank over the past 7 or 8 weeks. On the fishy front one of my angels seemed to develop an internal bacterial infection which led to a swimbladder problem (see emergencies section for details). After recuperating in a hospital tank for three weeks he seemed fully recovered so I did a swap and put him back in the main tank and moved my bully angel to the hospital tank (now converted into a prison cell; solitary confinement style) to give him time to settle in peacefully and make sure he really was back to normal. Bizarrely, within about 36 hours he'd gone downhill and died. Totally strange! I really have no idea what went wrong there.

I left bully angel in the time-out tank to think about what he'd done and a couple of days later picked up three little juvi angels. Cutest little guys EVER! They are bigger than 50p size but not by much. They settled in like they'd been there their whole lives and my other two angels accepted them with no problems. Big Boy is still in time-out but I think I'll move him this weekend, it will have been between 3 and 4 weeks in solitary by then. I'm hesitant because there's something weird going on with my two existing angels and I'm not really sure what it is (I'll do another post about it in a bit) and I want them feeling really full of themselves to keep the dominant male from going all nutso again.

Time for photos :)

A new FTS - the tank hasn't changed much lol, There was a lot of dying off and trimming back to do but the plants seem to have rooted now and I'm seeing growth.

Posted Image

And the new inhabitants. Two blushing sunset and one gold marble. The gold marble has one shortened gill plate which after doing a little reading is one of the most common angelfish deformities. He should have been culled and shouldn't really have been sold on. I was so careful to check for straight fins lol - oh well. It doesn't seem to bother him now and he's very cute so we'll just have to see how it gets on!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm thinking their gold will deepen a lot more as the first ones I got were quite yellowy when I got them but they are very orange/gold now.

Posted Image

I love this fish lol - I dunno what it is! He's such a porker too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#36 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Great update! My golden angels also coloured up more after some time, so I guess yours will do the same.

#37 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thanks :D The little guys are doing well. I decided not to put Bad Boy back in the tank just yet. I feel bad for him being stuck in a little cube with nothing but two fake plants for company but I need to wait and get my two adult angels sorted first. Still not confident on what's going on with them, something's not right I just can't decide what it is! :/

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#38 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just thought I'd show you guys these, I think the colours are brilliant!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's my assistant hoping, I mean, keeping an eye out for any fish shooting down the pipe - not that it ever happens :whistle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

340L (90g) Planted Tank

#39 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Nice.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#40 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

I am thinking of upgrading my living room tank and one of the ideas is to add some more angels to the pair I have already. I am somewhat afraid of aggression and bullying though as the newcomers will definitively be smaller and the male might see some of them as competition. What are your experiences so far?