#1 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

This is going to be my area for journaling my experience...

Anwyays. Already got the 5g set up in the bedroom near the window. I'm going to watch it the next few days, I got thick glass as my window and it doesn't open so not like a draft will hit it.

Right now its got a filter and a heater no light and it will stay this way. Later today I may add in some miracle grow soil.

Its got a golf ball size clump of moss floating around inside and I'll later on will be buying very easy plants much like

Java moss
Twisted Vallisneria
Dwarf Vallisneria
Java fern
Dwarf Hygrophila
Giant Hygrophila
Crypts
(Also considering a floating plant... thinking duckweed... I'm going to imagine that its so invasive its already invaded Indian waters)

and maybe a few more... avoiding anything south american as I want this to be sorta indian/ asian themed...... Though might add some alder cones to lower the ph in the tank for the dwarf puffer I plan on housing inside.

Posted Image

Dnt know what species of moss but its spinning around like a ball atm. This will be a pic heavy journal much like my other journal on my apistoramma biotop

this is all changed~ Mates going to get a leopard gecko so new plans~ Going to keep all the plants I've collected so far and scape the tank accordingly.... Java fern, Xmas moss, Vals, Morimo ball, giant grass plant (That's shrunk) rotala, wisteria... and a few others... I'm going to probably give away some of the plants... some... like the amazon sword... some of the anubias... I unno anyways... Fffff... this... hmm anyways... Not too exciting but hey least it'll be a bigger aquarium giving me more space to set up for the fish.

Edited by Kuro, 25 August 2013 - 01:01 AM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#2 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like a cool project.  Don't think there has been mention of anybody else with puffers on the forum.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#3 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostWetElbow, on 18 June 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Sounds like a cool project.  Don't think there has been mention of anybody else with puffers on the forum.

Nice. I think there is two... but not so active. I plan on letting snails breed a muck inside my 20g since they'll help break down the leaf bits and I'll pluckem out and feed to the little puffer.

I'm going to try for a max amount of plants but make sure the front area has the shorter micro plants, and the long vall's on the sides so they can cover the top in which I'll try to push them and form them into a C Shape and inside the C Shape I'll have floating plants with roots that'll dangle down into the front area with the short plants. This way the little guy has swimming space and hopefully lots of hiding spots.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#4 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

Basic idea... I wont be using lights on this aquarium just what goes on through the window... Anyways... This is my basic idea. This'll leave a very wide opening in the front for it to swim around, the java fern can provide hiding area's the sides are blocked from view, seeing as how all of the plants I'll be choosing are low light they should all do fine.

*Edit* Hmmm reading up on quite a few sites that say puffers prefer a lower ph much like my cichlids... I may drop a few alder cones in... maybe this'll help lower it just... Hmm well if I'm going walstad I shouldn't have to worry about fluxuating ph... I'm going to tamper with the tank a few days before I add anything into it fish wise as I don't wanna risk their little life.

Edited by Kuro, 18 June 2013 - 08:22 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#5 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Amazon frogbit is so cool though, I'd definitely choose it over duckweed much easier to remove too. Vallisneria nana is nice too, much thinner leaves so it'll go well in your smaller tank.
I'm Batman
"Storms make fish horny" - SexualBatman

#6 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostGetTheJist, on 19 June 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Amazon frogbit is so cool though, I'd definitely choose it over duckweed much easier to remove too. Vallisneria nana is nice too, much thinner leaves so it'll go well in your smaller tank.

Haha yup yup already reading my mind on plants I plan on getting. I also wanna do some java fern on the right side since its broad leaves look nice specially with the thinner leaf species. Plus its a very easy to grow plant so I know it wont die.

Edited by Kuro, 19 June 2013 - 08:52 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#7 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hmmm from what I read... if I run into algae... I clearly wont have enough plants inside the tank >83

BAH anyways... gonna go on and bike down to the fish store tomorrow with 15$ in mind for buying some plants... Don't know what I'll get at that price but I hope it'll be bulky amount.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#8 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Not sure how much you'll get for that probably not tons. I'd think about possibly ordering some plants online and growing them also I think mikaila31 occasionally sells boxes of plants. Also mini java fern is fairly expensive or at least it is over here.
I'm Batman

#9 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

Uuuuum if Mikhaila is from the us (Which i doubt since it seems we have very fewed members from the Us on here) I might chat with them though I'm pretty sure the one from my local aquarium will be riddled with ramhorn snails and will give me lots for 7 bucks least when I got java fern an old gy came out from back this asian guy, he reaches in and grabs a handful, with that handful I nearly filled 1/4 of my 5g tank. I was blown away so i'm going back and gonna get more for this tank since the currrent java fern I own is in the 10g.

Edited by Kuro, 20 June 2013 - 01:47 AM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#10 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

She's definitely in the US just send her a PM not sure if she has the plants you want though.
I'm Batman

#11 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostGetTheJist, on 20 June 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

She's definitely in the US just send her a PM not sure if she has the plants you want though.

Ah well I'll see what I got around here first ^_^ I mean I'm going for Valls, Java fern. Java moss (Grows ugly... but grows fast) frog bit and ummm that other plant... that I'm too lazy to look up hygro... I think... I'm hoping with the vals' I can let them grow up over the water to create a type of cover then curve them and put the frogbit into the curve they'll make this way they can avoid the hob filter that I also put a piece of plastic bottle to reduce how hard it hits the water since its a nano power filter.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#12 Simonas

Simonas

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationWirral

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I like the sound of this.

Puffers are ace, been a year since I kept any and you are right no one on here seems to have them on the forum at the moment
Aquareef 300 In Progress

#13 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSimonas, on 20 June 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I like the sound of this.

Puffers are ace, been a year since I kept any and you are right no one on here seems to have them on the forum at the moment

Sweet~ I think they look like little water pups so I'm quite excited to keep one, specially since their price tag is a lot cheaper in my area than the cost of my apistogramma. So they wont break the bank.
Imma go pick up some plants today, then the rest later, and I just ordered a bag of frogbit off of aquabid, I'll probably get the frogbit later.
Then let the plants free float in the tank, then get some organic potting soil and set it all up.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#14 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Alright got my miniture shopping list since this tank will be less about amount of species an more bulk of specific species.

Time to go annoy the fish store with 18$ in quarters muahahhaa~~~ (I have a jar meant for fish supplies that I usually empty my pockets too in daily and after a few months of doing this it collects~)

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#15 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

lol I stick all my change into a jar too except 1ps and 2ps they ruin the aesthetic of a coin jar.
I'm Batman

#16 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostGetTheJist, on 20 June 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

lol I stick all my change into a jar too except 1ps and 2ps they ruin the aesthetic of a coin jar.

XD ahaha. Nice nice. I'll update this journal with some pics later of what I scored, and hopefully their planted tank will be riddled with snails so I can start up a mini culture to feed to the little puffer I plan on getting for this tank.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#17 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Alright was only able to nab the Vals, got a lot and nabbed some Java fern, They were all out of Hygro, and I refuse to pay 12 bucks for java moss xD That's outrageous.

Seems my dwarf puffer btw will only cost 1.99$ crazzzzzzy how low the price is in my opinion.

Edited by Kuro, 20 June 2013 - 06:21 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#18 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

$1.99 :o that's cheap. 12 bucks for java moss is insane plenty of people sell java moss online I'd just buy some from them, I'd look on ebay, or in the classifieds on here for some plants.
I'm Batman

#19 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostGetTheJist, on 20 June 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

$1.99 :o that's cheap. 12 bucks for java moss is insane plenty of people sell java moss online I'd just buy some from them, I'd look on ebay, or in the classifieds on here for some plants.

Yeah I walked by a tank that had like... 50 on one side and 50 on the other, 1.99 each I nearly bought NEARLY I even asked for one but when the guy came over to help nab the plants for me I didn't remind them. Also when I paid in quarters the lady at the cashier got excited saying "Omgawed thank you so much! I needed quarters and was about to send my nephew out to get some"

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#20 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just got done ordering some duckweed off of aqua bid paid 8$ free shipping~ Getting 10+ pieces. I gotta hope they don't melt and die away inside the tank They'll be here some time next week here is a picture of whats going on so far, No fertile substrate added yet but the tank is cycled actually after doing tests I got 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate ph 7
I'm going to continue to feed the tank little bits of food since I don't have a fish inside of it.

I sloped the sand in the back so the rooters could be rooted, the java fern is just tucked down and the moss is on nothing I'll later probably tie it to a rock.

Posted Image

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image