#21 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Okay got my organic potting soil, Not Miracle grow but it was cheap as dirt.. Muahaha

Anyways... O,..,O I'll update later~ Btw ditched the idea of the 5g walstad and the dwarf puffer, Mates gonna get a pet gecko so going to clear the space out for them(Aka the two wallplugs I'm taking up). So it'll be all done inside the 10g, I'll be ditching the pygmy corydora, and the assassin snail. I'm going to introduce a grouping of snails and shrimp to the tank and it'll be the betta and 3 frogs until the betta dies then it'll be something... (Probably dwarf puffer :3) *Also i've stepped on this betta before... so its a bit of survivor don't see it passing any day soon.

So going to make it a 10 gallon walstad... and... Hmmm... Not sure... hmm... Okay anyways so going to cut a hole in my hood and put on a second filter, the nano. This way I can use the 5g as a medical tank. It'll be empty but the filter will add to water movement on the other side of the 10g this way the entire tank can have movement..... Umm... still thinking... cause this kinda blew all my plans out of water... but its a good thing since I was suffering multiple tank syndrome... this'll cut back on hmm... Anyways... O,..,O...

*Renames journal :V)

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#22 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Kuro, 25 August 2013 - 01:00 AM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#23 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

Uploading a video now, nets slow so it'll be like an hour, anyways I'm going to butcher the anubias again as I can see ugly arse leaves, there's a hair algae that's occurring on some of the plants but it disappears during water changes... its weird. Ummmm yeah here's the update. Nice slow steady growth.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#24 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Oh, yes, the health of the plants has improved a lot. It will be nice once the grass carpets. Have you thought about some tall stems out the back? It will cover the equipment.

#25 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

View Postsnazy, on 25 August 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

Oh, yes, the health of the plants has improved a lot. It will be nice once the grass carpets. Have you thought about some tall stems out the back? It will cover the equipment.

The back row plants, are Wisteria, Vals and um Star Grass. Just they are taking too darn long to grow... so I'm considering going out to buy more plants and stuffing them beside as filler to cover up the equipment faster, than waiting a year for it to all do its business. Do you know of any other good looking tall stem plants? Cause I'm really favorable towards the Rotala cause of its pinkish leaves that turn green after it matures. I love that attribute about the plant.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#26 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#27 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

The back row plants, are Wisteria, Vals and um Star Grass. Just they are taking too darn long to grow...
My vallis took ages to take off too, like months maybe? But now it's growing very fast finally. It's a good idea to use filler plants. I am not sure what to recommend as they grow at different rates and you may need a fast grower for the balance now. You can plant them just in front of the vallis. That's what I did and now I am slowly pulling them out.  If you like rotala, try rotala. Otherwise some of the hydrophila species like polysperma will take off quite fast. I think it can turn pinkish/reddish depending on conditions. Other than that, look into ludwiga species but they won't grow as fast I think. Some bacopas grow fast. Mine took ages to adapt at first so can't be sure which variety. I am sure you'll find something you like.

Edited by snazy, 25 August 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#28 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostKuro, on 25 August 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

The amazon sword has really taken off too. And the anubias is growing healthy green leaves.  You just need more plant mass in there but the plants will grow. Mine melted so badly initially it looked bare at some stage. And certain plants had quite a long period of adjusting after which they started grow faster.

Edited by snazy, 25 August 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#29 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

View Postsnazy, on 25 August 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

The amazon sword has really taken off too. And the anubias is growing healthy green leaves.  You just need more plant mass in there but the plants will grow. Mine melted so badly initially it looked bare at some stage. And certain plants had quite a long period of adjusting after which they started grow faster.

Ah well I can't wait ^___^ I still do water changes on it but I'm considering holding off and doing water changes 2 times a month... I mean every week I'll do a 5 gallon change so 50% cause I'm still too paranoid of the idea of it being small so it'll I unno hurt the inhabitants faster.

I got a job recent and I'm going to start soon, so I know my first paycheck will be gone in an instant because I got to get a few things but I think I can set aside 30$ for some plants to put into the tank which will be nice.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#30 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postsnazy, on 25 August 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

My vallis took ages to take off too, like months maybe? But now it's growing very fast finally. It's a good idea to use filler plants. I am not sure what to recommend as they grow at different rates and you may need a fast grower for the balance now. You can plant them just in front of the vallis. That's what I did and now I am slowly pulling them out.  If you like rotala, try rotala. Otherwise some of the hydrophila species like polysperma will take off quite fast. I think it can turn pinkish/reddish depending on conditions. Other than that, look into ludwiga species but they won't grow as fast I think. Some bacopas grow fast. Mine took ages to adapt at first so can't be sure which variety. I am sure you'll find something you like.

The day I actually tried to get hygro someone else nabbed ALL Of it and I was like "Can I maybe get a few of those?" and they said "No" and went on to pay and leave xD but they are on my list next to the rotala.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#31 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostKuro, on 25 August 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

Ah well I can't wait ^___^ I still do water changes on it but I'm considering holding off and doing water changes 2 times a month... I mean every week I'll do a 5 gallon change so 50% cause I'm still too paranoid of the idea of it being small so it'll I unno hurt the inhabitants faster.

I got a job recent and I'm going to start soon, so I know my first paycheck will be gone in an instant because I got to get a few things but I think I can set aside 30$ for some plants to put into the tank which will be nice.
I think on these tanks one can get away with a bit less water changing but I'll have to see long term first before I am sure. As I mentioned I use the TDS meter to tell me when :) as I don't want to end up with an "old tank syndrome" of extreme TDS and hardness, but low Ph and ammonia spikes. And congratulations on the job. It only gets worse with fish keeping once you get more money as there's nothing to stop you anymore :) besides laziness of course :P, or lack of interest...

#32 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

View Postsnazy, on 25 August 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

I think on these tanks one can get away with a bit less water changing but I'll have to see long term first before I am sure. As I mentioned I use the TDS meter to tell me when :) as I don't want to end up with an "old tank syndrome" of extreme TDS and hardness, but low Ph and ammonia spikes. And congratulations on the job. It only gets worse with fish keeping once you get more money as there's nothing to stop you anymore :) besides laziness of course :P, or lack of interest...

I've already hit my head against lack of interest and got a small interest growing in leaps and bounds into herps... I've contacted Agent about their bearded dragon and they know many MANY breeders here in California, So I'm probably going to set aside money for one of those vs setting an even larger tank. (Which is what I'm tempted to do... cause setting up an enormous black water tank sounds so pleasurable  and SIMPLE with my unlimited supply of driftwood, and leaf litter lol)

Though I'm out of space kinda... I mean i could retire the BAH!!! See what's already started! XD

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#33 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

On June 28th

On Auguest 24th

WOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!! Thank god for these video's or I wouldn't of realized the VAST improvements in the plant health.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#34 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only the betta and 2 adfs inside the tank and a good amount of trumpet snails... Ummm I haven't done a water change in two weeks on the tank and there was nothing wrong with the water levels, I decided to do a 3-4 gallon water change on it and top it off with some extra water but ummmm other then that I dont do much for this tank anymore except feed the inhabitants, Makes me happy ^___^

Edited by Kuro, 15 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image