121 replies to this topic

#21 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm actually wondering about running both externals on it. Has anyone got any thoughts on that?

#22 Zante

Zante

Established Aquarist

• Tank, Fish, Pet Of The Month
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

If the water turnover isn't too much for your fish (unlikely) I think it would be a good idea.
30 litre shrimp tank: red crystal shrimps, 2 nerite snails
400 litre amazon tank: 5 discus, 15 rummynoses, 1 cardinal, loads of corys, some bristlenoses
550+90 litre reef - journal: http://www.aqcenter....marine-journal/
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/Dezzantibus

#23 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

the beauty of the JBL is you can turn the flow up and down - not possible on the APS from what I can see. I've just had an issue with ammonia in the 180 and think that was due to over cleaning the JBL so running them both may be a better option for avoiding that happening again.

There is going to be a hell of a lot of fish going into this tank after-all. Glad someone else has said it's a good idea to run them both ... my Dad said it was a stupid idea! He's an old fashioned fish keeper and doesn't seem to grasp the modern ways! We've already had one arguement today cos I said I was going to buy some household ammonia to get this APS bacteria awake and working again!

Anyway, got my background today - just a plain black. I was looking at the Juwel moulded background pannels in the shop and wishing I was loaded with cash cos that's what would be going in right now if I was!
The tank needs a little clean - it's not filthy by any means but I'm going to give it a wipe round with plain water and a sponge and then get this background in place. Hopefully my sand will be here by Tuesday or Wednesday and then the fun of washing 25kg of sand begins :no: :no:

#24 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Put the sand into a pillow case and run a hose into it.  Cleans the sand in no time.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#25 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostWetElbow, on 17 August 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

Put the sand into a pillow case and run a hose into it.  Cleans the sand in no time.

Ooh thanks for reminding me of that trick ... I'd forgotten :lol:

#26 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

well I decided to remove the two stick-on-glass thermometers today. There was one on each side of the front glass. I decided looking at them would annoy me over time so removing them now seemed like a good option. It took a bit of time with a blade to remove them and now there's just a bit of the sticky glue left on the glass. Google tells me that that will come off with nail polish remover so I'm now waiting for someone to turn the tank around for me (I've got the back looking at me at the moment - easier to get the background on that way) and then I can get to work with some nail polish remover.

I was thinking about getting one of those digital thermometers I've seen on Amazon. Are they any good? Or am I just better sticking with the cheap option of the standard thermometers that suction onto the glass? All my current tanks have them so I will have 3 or 4 kicking around once all the fish are in the one tank.

#27 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Which digital thermomenter Akasha? I've got one I bought from Amazon and it's very accurate. It's got a probe that goes in the tank but the thermomenter is outside.  It's great when filling up the tank because it shows exactly whether I got the temperature of the new water right. But I have a juwel internal digital thermometer which is way off the mark and is useless. It easily shows nearly one degree difference than the actual temperature.

#28 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

I've just seen them on amazon - no particular type. That was why I was asking if they were worth spending money on or not. What make is the one you have that's good?

#29 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

The make is: "Digital thermomenter" :) If you've got a link to what you've been looking at, I maybe able to tell you if it's the same. If you worry about doing too much of a temperature shift either way during a water change, then they are worth it.

#30 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

there's this one

http://www.amazon.co...1-1&keywords=di

#31 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

or this one

http://www.amazon.co...words=digital a

#32 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostAkasha, on 18 August 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

No, mine is this one: http://www.amazon.co...ometer aquarium

#33 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

okay, cheers snazy, pricey but possibly worth it with expensive cichlids in the tank

#34 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yes, this one at least shows the temperature right for sure and it's very sensitive. I have compared it numerous times to my digital  TDS meter that has a temperature sensor and both show exactly the same temps to the 0.1 part of a degree. For the rest, who knows, maybe some of them are good but judging by what one can come across condsidering the juwel thermometer, some maybe useless. As for the normal thermometers, they are all useless, may be just to show you extreme differences but by then I'd know by "feeling" the water with my hands which is for free :)

Edited by snazy, 18 August 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#35 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

thanks Snazy...

Well I'm now back to looking at the millions of aquascapes on the net and knowing I can't compare so I'm not going to try! Can anyone recommend any good books that I might be able to borrow from the library on aquascaping?

I feel that my other tanks have been the 'practice' now this one is for 'real' if that makes sense...

I think I am going to stick with a pathway type of aquascape. I like the look of them - they appeal to me and I find them fairly easy to do. I now have two tanks full of rock and wood aswell as all the plants so I'm hoping to achieve something much better than I have before - that's my theory anyway ... now you can all watch me fail misrably and have a good giggle in the process :lol: :P

#36 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

got it turned around the right way now

Posted Image

Okay, there's a few scratches on the front glass - mostly on the inside - which I'd not noticed until I turned it around today and cleaned the glass. Is there anything I can do about them now before I go any further or am I stuck with them?

Edited by Akasha, 19 August 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#37 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

It looks small :P ...kidding... :lol: Maybe when you fill the tank and decorate it the scratches won't be that visible. My 2nd hand tank. also has a few but personally I don't notice them.

#38 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

I was hoping they'll be less visable once it's decorated and full of water. I just thought it was worth asking if there's any tricks for getting rid of them while the tank was empty. I doubted that there was but worth asking anyway :)

It's a massive tank and it looks even bigger stood next to the tiny 30 litre fry tank! I've now emptied the bookcase next to it as I'm going to move that to the other side (I'll move the fry tank first though :P) so I can centralise it with the mirror and candlesticks. It looks a bit odd as it is

Edited by Akasha, 19 August 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#39 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

I am sure they must be some tricks. What do they use to polish car glass?

#40 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

there probably is something that can be done to smooth out scratches on glass but is it something that's safe for fish ??? that's the question