121 replies to this topic

#41 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

I am sure I came across recently about tools for polishing car windows to be effective on scratched  tank glass but I really can't recall much more than this.

Edited by snazy, 19 August 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#42 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

hmm I wonder if google will be my friend ... ?

#43 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

some stuff on google but the scratches are deep enough to feel with my fingernails so it's down to professional polishing and that's gonna mean getting the tank out of the flat again and I can't be bothered with that for a few scratches

#44 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

the black sand has arrived and it is the same colour as the stuff I've got in the 800 so it will mix well!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow ...

#45 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

guess what I'm doing tonight! I couldn't wait until tomorrow! The sand is washed and in the tank and the tank is now 3/4 full of water. My plan? To get the APS filter running over night to clear the water .... and guess what ... the damn filter won't start. I've been pumping the button on the top for ages and nothing is happening. I've had a work out anyway :frantics:

So, plan B .... fill the filter with water manually and then see if it starts. If not ... it's getting binned. I've fallen out with it now

#46 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

It needs to be filled up to the level of the top basket. It won't fill up itself. Is it not starting as no sound at all, or just not priming properly?

#47 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

there's sound - the normal gentle grind of an impeller going around but it just won't start pumping water. I've just rung my Dad, he's on his way round to see if he can get it going

Edit:
We got it going and it works fine but it's now up for sale. I've decided to run my JBL e901 plus an internal until I can get a JBL e1501 or a second e901.

The reason for sale is simple. I can't cope with it. I can manouvre it when it's full of water as it's too heavy. It's way too powerful in output too - there's no way my cichlids would cope with that amount of flow and there's no way to turn it down either. It's spray bar is missing as is it's flow deflector nozzle.

If anyone is interested in buying it off me then let me know :)

Edited by Akasha, 20 August 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#48 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's up to you Akasha. I guess JBL's maybe nicer looking and more manageable.  The only thing I'd add is that you won't have to clean the APS 2000 filter for many months without a drop in flow so you won't need to be fiddling with it as you do with the e901. The flow shouldn't really be affecting the fish to be honest. If you are having a planted tank this will only help and it will be diffused once the plants grow. You probably just aren't used of looking at that much flow around the tank.

#49 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

yeah the APS has gotta go. It's too big, heavy and un-usable for me. After running it for 10 minutes last night I had water sprayed half way up a newly painted wall aswell ... that pee'd me off cos climbing on ladders to clean water off the walls is not on my to-do list.

Anyway, I put my little internal filter in the tank before going to bed and left it running over night. I might only be for a 100 litre tank but it's cleared the water up nicely!
We tried to get the light unit working aswell last night but it kept going out. One of the bulbs has turned black in one corner (about 3 inches in) so we know that is close to blowing completely but then Dad noticed a break in the coating of the wire so he's taken the light unit home to have a look at the wire and make it safe. I'll probably change the entire light unit at a later date though.

I would get a photo up of it with it's layer of black sand in but with no light unit it's pointless as the camara won't pick it up.

So .... I planned to start decorating it today but guess what ... the damn cichlids have spawned so I'm gonna have to wait. The Bolivians have wrigglers so give it a couple of days and they'll have been eaten and cuviceps were showing signs of egg laying before I went to bed. I've not checked the tank yet but if they havn't layed in the night they'll be laying today - going by their behaviour anyway. It's annoying cos their timing could be better but it does give me time to decide what I want to do decoration wise

#50 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

I just broke the APS filter! Went to empty it of the water from last night and one of the locking handles snapped off - not the ones on the metal bits the plastic ones at the side that snap down first.

So it that it? Guessing it can't be used now without leaking? I doubt I'll be able to sell it broken unless it's for spares and repairs

#51 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

this is where I'm at now

Posted Image

Still needs topping up with water - although to be honest once I start with lumps of bogwood and rocks it probably won't need any topping up at all!

My Dad is fiddling with bits of filter pipes now in an effort to get the Hydor external heater to fit my JBL. He assures me that his plan will work and it won't leak and all I can do is trust him on that ...

You see the problem is the Hydor runs off 16mm pipe and the JBL runs off 12mm pipe so we're gonna have to fudge it to make it fit ... I'm a little worried in all honesty

#52 Zante

Zante

Established Aquarist

• Tank, Fish, Pet Of The Month
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Uhm... it shouldn't be difficult to get size adaptors for the pipes. My "local" maidenhead aquatics had loads that I used as connectors for my DIY filter.
30 litre shrimp tank: red crystal shrimps, 2 nerite snails
400 litre amazon tank: 5 discus, 15 rummynoses, 1 cardinal, loads of corys, some bristlenoses
550+90 litre reef - journal: http://www.aqcenter....marine-journal/
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/Dezzantibus

#53 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hydor make a 12mm model as well so that's an option.

Posted Image

Check Out my Tank Journal

340L (90g) Planted Tank

6 x Angelfish, 3 x Bolivian Ram, 2 x Bristlenose Plec, 10 x Sterbai Cory, 3 x Espei Rasbora, 4 x Rummynose Tetra, 2 x Nerite Snails

#54 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'd say you'll be fine. It would have been worse if you had to down size as that would affect the flow rate but upsizing is no problem as long as you get the proper connections. It shouldn't leak of course once done properly :)

#55 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I didn't know you could get adapters for the different sizes. I'll pop over to MA next week and see if I can get some. It's better than worrying about a leak

#56 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

You need 2 resizers 16/12, possibly a short piece of a 16mm hose to fit the hose resizers onto the heater, and then 4 hose clamps that fit the two 16 and two 12 ends of the hose to ensure no leaking. Or at least how I would have done it probably.

Edited by snazy, 21 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#57 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

thanks Snazy, I'll sort it out :D

#58 snazy

snazy

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ah, great then. I nearly drew a picture in paint to actually explain what I was attempting to say :lol:

#59 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

my Dad was talking about forcing the 12mm pipe inside the 16mm pipe and just putting a jubilee clamp around the joint .... my gut feeling was - that's gonna leak.

I'll head over to MA next week and have a look at these connectors and work out the best way to do it :)

#60 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

update:

I went to my lfs today with my heater and the two different bits of pipe and explained what the problem was and what I was trying to do. Luke - the guy that owns the business looked at it, said he'd not seen the external heaters before but was really interested in it and set about trying to solve my problem. Off he went around the store getting bits of pipe and other bits. We ended up with this

Posted Image

Which turns into this :

Posted Image

The brown hose on the right is the 12mm JBL hosing and the blue hose on the left is the 16mm which will fit on the end of the connector seriously tightly forming a good seal.

Perfect - job sorted. Price £3.00. I call that a good result.

So a bit ago I upset my  fish and took the large lump of bogwood out - not happy fishes!! I then cleaned it up a bit and got it into the new tank trying it various ways but decided it look best the way it was in the 180 but it needed some 'modification'. I set to work with my hacksaw and chopped one the arms off. So it now fits nicely in the tank without being wedged. I then uprooted two of the huge Echinodorus plants I got recently, gave the roots a trim and trimmed off any rotting or leaves that were discoloured and also cut off the flower stems that had grown. I've now got 4 new plants floating around in the tank and the beginnings of another floating in the 180.

This is how the 240 looks now

Posted Image

It's not a great picture as things are still settling with the sand and I've just upset things again by planting the two plants and messing about with the wood.

So ... thoughts on how it's looking? I'm definitely sticking to another pathway but I've got plenty of time to get it right so I'm not rushing things :)