#1 onidrase

onidrase

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

my manager gave me a 30 gallon halfmoon aquarium today and I just bought a 46 euro bowfront aquarium.

The 30 gallon was intentional, the 46 euro was a total impulse from the fact that I was offered it brand new off the shelf at work for 100 dollars when it's a 370 dollar tank.

It's been a long time since I've been on this site, life's been busy for a change, but a quick rundown:

I'm trying to move out of my dad's house, don't want to drag around my 50 and 75/don't know if a lot of apartments will let me keep a 50 and 75, so those tanks are going to my cousin's house for the time being til I have a stable living situation.

So I want to set up some smaller tanks. I was originally just gonna do a standard 29, then I got offered the 30 for free, and then I got the deal on the 46 gallon, and bought it before thinking "This isn't much smaller than my 50 gallon is it"

so now I have these two tanks, and I've already got plans to mak the 46 gallon a tank for a female convict cichlid, 12 or so tiger barbs, and some sort of bottom dweller. Maybe bumblebee catfish? We started stocking them at petsmart for 3 bucks a pop but I know nothing about them.

The halfmoon, on the other hand... It's a really tall tank and I have no idea what to do with it. the dimensions ar 26"x14"x28". It's really cool looking and I like it a lot, but it's just really tall. So I'm not sure what's be suitable for the tank, really. I wouldn't mind having an angelfish but I'm not sure if the angelfish would be comfortable with the 26" length. I've also been thinking about 3 spot gouramis or pearl gouramis, and I do miss my khuli loaches so I might get a school of them. But it's a weird tank and It's not something I really know how to stock.

I imagine as far as the aquascape goes, I'd love to throw in a nice tall piece of manzanita driftwood and have some small cave structurs along the bottom, with some anubias nana anchored to the wood and some taller grassy plants along the back wall.

Any ideas on what the 30 halfmoon would be good for fishwise?

I'll get some pictures up as the tanks get set up, but it may be a while since I've gotta focus on getting a new computer before spending all my money on aquarium supplies.

#2 Biulu

Biulu

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationNow about 80% in Montreal, Canada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

When I was looking for an apartment in Montreal, most stated that pets were not allowed. So, I checked with them and nobody objected to fish. I didn't say how big the tank was or how many I had, but the main worry seems to be hairs, claws and noise. No fish has or produces that....

I keep an angel pair in a tank that is 80 cm long (31 inches) and that has worked well for me.

However, I want to give you an alternative suggestion: have you thought about converting this tank into a paludarium? You can put 30 to 40 cm of water, some nice small shoaling species, like rasbora vateriflorus or pseudomugil signifer and outside the water, maybe some tree frogs or a chameleon. You would still be able to use your manzanita wood, only that it will stick out of the water for one part. With a nice cork background with mosses, maybe a bromelia somewhere I think this could look great!

Edited by Biulu, 30 August 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#3 onidrase

onidrase

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBiulu, on 30 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

When I was looking for an apartment in Montreal, most stated that pets were not allowed. So, I checked with them and nobody objected to fish. I didn't say how big the tank was or how many I had, but the main worry seems to be hairs, claws and noise. No fish has or produces that....

I keep an angel pair in a tank that is 80 cm long (31 inches) and that has worked well for me.

However, I want to give you an alternative suggestion: have you thought about converting this tank into a paludarium? You can put 30 to 40 cm of water, some nice small shoaling species, like rasbora vateriflorus or pseudomugil signifer and outside the water, maybe some tree frogs or a chameleon. You would still be able to use your manzanita wood, only that it will stick out of the water for one part. With a nice cork background with mosses, maybe a bromelia somewhere I think this could look great!
Not really into paludariums honestly. Tanks also too small for any common chameleons, they also tend to like a good amount of air flow.

#4 onidrase

onidrase

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Posted Image

The new tanks as they stand. They're sitting in my cousin's basement til I move my current ones there. He was eager to fill them up though I'd rather have left them empty. They both hold water, I wasn't expecting otherwise.

#5 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I quite like the one on the right. can image in for smaller fish, could make good use of top dwellers, middle and bottom; tall enough you might actually notice the separate layers.

... and it's round which is nice

#6 onidrase

onidrase

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostGuerrero, on 03 September 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

I quite like the one on the right. can image in for smaller fish, could make good use of top dwellers, middle and bottom; tall enough you might actually notice the separate layers.

... and it's round which is nice
the footprint is nearly the same as a 29 gallon, so i'm thinking on a single angel, some bleeding hearts, some kuhli loaches, and maybe some marbled hatchets. I'm working on having a fish store custom build a lid since the one it has is unhinged and was poorly modified to accommodate a hang on back filter.