• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod

Established Aquarist

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Somehow I have completely missed this thread, but have really enjoyed reading through it. I'm liking the current 'island' scape that the tank has. The idea of surrounding it with smaller plants sounds good as well.

#122 kram

kram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationIlford, Essex

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys thanks for the comments so far,

I havent been on much, due to the workload that the university has given me!.. Just had a few spare minutes and thought id update you guys.

Well the tank has had a reshuffle, just trying it out and seeing how it goes. The wood has gone on the right, and the plants on the right.

The current list of plants are:
Java fern on the wood
2 Amazon swords
The remaining vallis
1 some sort of crypt which ive forgotten
1 – oops.. forgotten the name as well!

As for the fish, well there are loads of baby guppies, and have left them to their own accord, alongside 2 platys and couple cardinals I believe, and finally a bristlenose.

The fish stocking needs to be worked on, and been looking at the pleco as this seems to be the season for them. I have always had a soft spot for L200, L128 green and blue phantom pleco and a golden nugget. I know my tank size isn’t the best for them to live there permanently, but pleco growth isn’t too rapid I believe? Correct me if im wrong guys. Would I get away with 1 L200, 1 L128 and bristlenose?

I have purchased and received today the new era pleco pellets. I found good reviews on them, so thought lets give it a go. Bristlenose hasn’t touched it as of yet, but the guppies have gone mad, all of them having a peck at the pellet. (Shown in picture)

Tank
Posted Image

New Era plec pellets (Guppies and platys going mad)
Posted Image

Edited by kram, 08 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#123 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• Tank And Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I've just gone onto the New Era range and my fish are now starting to get used to it. It took a while with some of it but now they're straight to it. I've got the plec pellets and the cories and plecs fight over em. I've also got the SA cichlid pellets and the cories love them ... the cichlids havn't had chance to try them yet!
One thing I did get was the tropical grazer ring and they were a flop stuck to the glass but now I break them into 4 and drop them in and plec and cories eat them. I'll probably get some more and just feed them from the floor.

Tanks looking good too :D

#124 frapadoodle

frapadoodle

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationBogart, Georgia, United States of America

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

Tank looks good. So glad the bricks are gone.
And quit with plecs! Y'all are just gonna make me get one.
55 gal. planted. Angels x2, Bolivians x2, Otos x5, Bronze Corys x10, Albino Bronze Corys x4, Peppered Corys x8.
20 gal. high planted. Angel, Neons x10, Black Neons x6, Otos x6, Panda Corys x3, Trilienatus Cory, Leucomelas Cory.
20 gal. high planted. Angel.
10 gal. x2, empty.

#125 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

I don't know what ya mean Mr Doodle ....

buy me

Posted Image

you know you want to ...

#126 frapadoodle

frapadoodle

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostAkasha, on 09 February 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

I don't know what ya mean Mr Doodle ....

buy me

Posted Image

you know you want to ...

That's just wrong!
But so darn cute.
55 gal. planted. Angels x2, Bolivians x2, Otos x5, Bronze Corys x10, Albino Bronze Corys x4, Peppered Corys x8.
20 gal. high planted. Angel, Neons x10, Black Neons x6, Otos x6, Panda Corys x3, Trilienatus Cory, Leucomelas Cory.
10 gal. x2, empty.

#127 WetElbow

WetElbow

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Tanks looks really good.
Rio 180. Tetratec ex1200. (Iwagumi) Bristlenose plec. 8 cardinal/ 8 black neon tetra. 7 cory habrosus. 5 Otocinclus. Amano and cherry shrimp.

Lido 120.(Nano reef) Tetratec ex 700. Deltec MCE 300. kessil A350.

#128 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

they're even cuter when they're babies

Posted Image

#129 frapadoodle

frapadoodle

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

That's the trouble. Last week they had two that size.

10 gal. x2, empty.

#130 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

well your tank is big enough for two if you wanted. They get to about 6 inches in length when full grown so with 130 litres two should be fine ... of course you run the risk of getting a male and a female and then having millions of babies to get rid of by doing that so maybe just get one if you can't cope with that!!

Seriously though. Your tank has been running a while so the filter will cope with the dirt bomb they can create and if you get one as a baby extra bacteria will grow with it. It'll need somewhere to hide though. I have one living under my bogwood lump ... I only see him when he's hungry. The other tends to move around, it's not so desperate to stay out of sight (the one in both my pictures) but they do seem to like small area's to rest in ... maybe it's a safety thing :)

Edited by Akasha, 09 February 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#131 frapadoodle

frapadoodle

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Twist my arm any harder and you'll break it.
I have thought about some "temporary" bogwood pieces, til I find the right ones.
As for the dirtbomb, sheesh, between the angels and rams, it's a daily vacuum, but at least they aren't constipated.
10 gal. x2, empty.

#132 Akasha

Akasha

Established Aquarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

well plecs are pretty bad at leaving a mess. They will re-arrange things as they want them - much like cories do aswell. I had a couple of angel fish for a while ... and yeah, boy can they poo!! I'd say an adult plec is on the same level as an angel fish.

As for arm twisting ... I think you've already made up your mind anyway ... no arm twisting needed lol :lol:

#133 kram

kram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationIlford, Essex

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hello,

I have just noticed I haven’t logged in or uploaded the journal for over a year!

Not really much to update on, except that the bristlenose was given back to my local fish shop, due to being a poop machine, since the plec has gone the tank seems better without it.

In terms of livestock, its mainly guppies still, however need to change the stocking, as find them tad boring now.

I have stopped using any ferts so far, and this is how the plants stand for now, they seem to be doing okay.

Next step will be to try and change the stocking, with some bigger fish that this tank can hold.

Below is a picture of how the tank stands currently.

Posted Image