• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi everyone, I started another thread for advice, but i thought I might as well journal this so I can look back later on and learn from what I have done.

Set-Up So far:
Tank: Rio 125 (125 Litres ^.^)
Filter: Eheim Professional 3 - 600
Substrate: Seachem Flourite

Bought a few plants just to get things going, will probably be replaced. Just some Microsword and others, which I'll be able to tell you when the tank cleans up ^.^

Stocking is as plans:
3 GBR
8 Galaxy Rasboras
8 Peppered Corydoras
12 Congo Tetra
(Will try one batch of Shrimp, see if they survive GBR's)

A few pictures of the beginning of my journey:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ace Of Spades, 19 April 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#2 Kuro

Kuro

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

O,..,o... Did ya rinse the substrate? I've never used Seachem fluorite, but I plan to turn my 72 gallon bow front into a planted aquarium eventually and was considering it since i hear its so nutrient rich, that and I don't wanna go and buy a ton of dirt.

My Black Water Biotope

Posted Image

#3 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostKuro, on 19 April 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

O,..,o... Did ya rinse the substrate? I've never used Seachem fluorite, but I plan to turn my 72 gallon bow front into a planted aquarium eventually and was considering it since i hear its so nutrient rich, that and I don't wanna go and buy a ton of dirt.

I rinsed it forever, and it's still the dirtiest substrate I've used. If you do plan on using it, rinse it, then rest a plate to pour your buckets into or you'll end up like me!!!

https://vidd.me/v/NmJ

Edited by Ace Of Spades, 19 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#4 Mikaila31

Mikaila31

• Section Advisor
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationMaplewood, MN

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

yah flourite is super dusty. Change enough water gently or I would just let it sit with no filters or circulation so the fine particles settle out better.

#5 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like a really nice set up however I would rethink the stocking if it was me. The peppered corys arent a fan or the warm water your rams need to survive and the galaxy danios certainly will not appreciate high temp as well.

Threadfin rainbow fish are nice alternative the the danios?

#6 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Sounds like a really nice set up however I would rethink the stocking if it was me. The peppered corys arent a fan or the warm water your rams need to survive and the galaxy danios certainly will not appreciate high temp as well.

Threadfin rainbow fish are nice alternative the the danios?

Going to make enemies before I've even started, but I'm not really negotiating on the stocking side of things. Sorry if that sounds douchey!, thanks for taking an interest.

#7 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Your not making enemies. Y wont you budge on stocking?

#8 Alm0stAwesome

Alm0stAwesome

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, UK

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sterbai like warmer temperatures, if you're interested.

Posted Image

Check Out my Tank Journal

340L (90g) Planted Tank

6 x Angelfish, 3 x Bolivian Ram, 2 x Bristlenose Plec, 10 x Sterbai Cory, 3 x Espei Rasbora, 4 x Rummynose Tetra, 2 x Nerite Snails

#9 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Your not making enemies. Y wont you budge on stocking?

I've been out of aquaria for a few years now, I've come back to build the tank I've set my mind on. I'm sure there will be a comfortable medium for all fish, I'm not too fussed on the GBR's too be honest, may even pick up some Bolivian rams instead, just I've found it hard finding other centerpiece fish seems like the only option is the tacky fish that everyone has like Kribs etc. My loathe for Apisto's too, my favourite cichlid is probably Geo's but they are all too big.

#10 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Well GBRs are very hard to keep long term so if you don't have a great deal of choices of fish from you lfs then I would guess that the rams wont be of the best linage.

If i was you i would have a rethink as I have made the mistake countless times of buying nice looking fish that arent suitable and then having to watch them every day feeling sorry for them

#11 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Well GBRs are very hard to keep long term so if you don't have a great deal of choices of fish from you lfs then I would guess that the rams wont be of the best linage.

If i was you i would have a rethink as I have made the mistake countless times of buying nice looking fish that arent suitable and then having to watch them every day feeling sorry for them

As I said, I've kept fish for a while. This is a first time doing planted properly, so I'm not here to learn about your moralities towards fish.

#12 Mikaila31

Mikaila31

• Section Advisor
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationMaplewood, MN

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

There is nothing really wrong with the stocking. GBR get a bad rap about being hard to keep when they really are not as long as you know how to keep them. I run similar stocking with a lot more rams and my rams spawn in a tank with a lot heavier stocking. 4 rams would actually be better then 3 as with 3 one will be ganged up on when the other two try to spawn. Rams are not really not aggressive except to each other when spawning. As long as there is enough line-of-sight breaks and the footprint of the tank is big enough(which it is here) its not an issue. Temp wise I think its fine I have cories with mine as well and its never been a problem. I can't say anything for the galaxys as I have never kept them.

#13 Brian

Brian

Established Aquarist

• Tank, Fish, Pet Of The Month
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

How do you feel on koi Angels
.............weird no fish.........

#14 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

I just thought journals where a place to share and here opinions

Im sure there is a site out there for amateur fish keepers who don't want to listen to well meant advice. . . . . il pm you a link if you like

#15 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

I just thought journals where a place to share and here opinions

Im sure there is a site out there for amateur fish keepers who don't want to listen to well meant advice. . . . . il pm you a link if you like

View PostAce Of Spades, on 19 April 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hi everyone, I started another thread for advice, but i thought I might as well journal this so I can look back later on and learn from what I have done.

From what I understood, Journals are about a logging a journey. It isn't the advice that's offensive, it's your inyourfaceness where you wont leave it alone. I've said mutliple times now that I'm not interested in your opinions, the fact that you don't seem to be getting the hints makes me wonder if you just like to argue.

#16 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostBrian, on 19 April 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

How do you feel on koi Angels

I don't mind Angels, just not for me.

Thanks
Ace

#17 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

I have reads lots of successful reports about rams being kept in large numbers. I believe there is a display tank at the green machine with a huge group of rams. May main concern is temps. Peppered corys are known for not thriving in warm conditions and cpds are a temperate fish coming from high altitudes and close to freezing temps in winter.

Rams are great fish and people keep them with great success, but in my experiannce more people fail to keep them alive for long than people who can keep them long term. If you havent got a good supplier then I would stay well away

Im sure Cpds will survive in hot water but what's the point if you can get a fish that thrives in hot water?

#18 Lloydyboy

Lloydyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Certainly haven't got time to argue. Perhaps we will talk again in a different thread

#19 Ace Of Spades

Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostLloydyboy, on 19 April 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Certainly haven't got time to argue. Perhaps we will talk again in a different thread

Seems like this post was unnecessary, taking the time to say something you haven't got the time to. Can a mod remove?

In other news, Juwel seem to have upped the Silicone Blobs on their internals quite significantly. Anyone got any tricks to remove it?

#20 Brian

Brian

Established Aquarist

• Tank, Fish, Pet Of The Month
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Come on guy's, I came on here to get good sound advice and that's what I got, it 's not rocket science
.............weird no fish.........