#1 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Heya. Does anyone around here have experience with the Nordmann fir?

Near Christmas I bought this little fir from the market, and it still had roots when I've planted it into the small garden in front of our house. I've given it water with sugar after it was planted (while the temps were still high) and also it has some conifer soil at its roots. This pic was taken today.

Posted Image

I'm not sure if these white spots on it is just sand from the construction site nearby, or fungus, or something produced by the tree. Here are the buds:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, the needles are no longer straight as they were when it was bought, so not sure if that's a bad thing or it's just the reaction it had to recent low temps.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The needles are still soft and don't detach when running my hand over them. I wonder if it will make it or will just die when spring comes.

Last year I had another one of these but I didn't plant it, I kept it in a pot outside in the freezing cold, and it dried out within 2 months and its root turned black.

Edited by Pisces, 04 February 2017 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

76L: Linda [longfin sword], Pepper & Rosy [homebred swordies], Ghost (white swordtail), Kitty & Musti [Hoplos].

RIP Tzuppy [Hoplo] 2003-2016

#2 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:14 PM

I've never had experience with that specific tree but I have two huge firs in my garden (about 20m tall), we just left them alone mostly and they've been going strong for the last 20 years or so.
I'm Batman
"Storms make fish horny" - SexualBatman

#3 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostGetTheJist, on 06 February 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

I've never had experience with that specific tree but I have two huge firs in my garden (about 20m tall), we just left them alone mostly and they've been going strong for the last 20 years or so.
What kind of fir? Abies? Douglas?

The reason I'm worried about this fir is that I bought it from a mall, where they kept it in these plastic containers and this one had roots that were poking out of the bottom of the container, on the sides. And it seems like they cut or filed off some of its roots. Its soil was also kind of dried but sandy. And it was losing needles a bit until I gave it sufficient water with sugar. Now it has only lost a few (seen on the snow) due to high winds. And the needles at first seemed unusual for twisting like that, but then I found a picture of Abies Nordmanniana on a website (http://www.bomengids...casian_fir.html ) and it seems like they have a habit of doing that to their lower branches for some reason. (pic off that website)
Posted Image

I guess I'll have to wait until spring to find out if the buds are still alive or not.

Edited by Pisces, 06 February 2017 - 10:50 PM.

Posted Image

76L: Linda [longfin sword], Pepper & Rosy [homebred swordies], Ghost (white swordtail), Kitty & Musti [Hoplos].

#4 GetTheJist

GetTheJist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:30 AM

I honestly have no idea what my ones are, they're uhm big ones, the soil its in is fairly acidic and every year we add some fertiliser around the base of the trees. Honestly I would be a bit worried about the quality of a tree from a mall, might take a while for it to settle.
I'm Batman
"Storms make fish horny" - SexualBatman

#5 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostGetTheJist, on 13 February 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

I honestly have no idea what my ones are, they're uhm big ones, the soil its in is fairly acidic and every year we add some fertiliser around the base of the trees. Honestly I would be a bit worried about the quality of a tree from a mall, might take a while for it to settle.
Well, if they grow tall, have cones that look like green/brown/blue candles and have emerald-green needles that are not spiky at the tip, they're some type of Abies, possibly concolor or nordmanniana or koreana.

And yeah that's why I am worried, because they likely didn't take care of it, what with the already dry soil it had. I've checked on it today and still seems ok, the buds are also looking good, but a few needles (about 6 or 7 of them) seemed to be showing half-discoloration typical of needle blight and I have removed them. I will deal with that during the summer if it really is needle blight fungus.

Posted Image

#6 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

Well, apparently no more freezing is announced in the weather. Only temps ranging from 9C to 20C. And the tree seems to not like these temps. Some needles at the tip of a few branches went brown, while a few needles randomly scattered through the tree's branches have turned half brown and half green. I've watered it a bit today, hope it was just lack of water.

Edited by Pisces, 22 February 2017 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Some update that seems like good news. There was this bud that seemed damaged, possibly by that darn blackbird that keeps flying around here. I tore it off and saw that it had some green inside, and the bark is also still green. This might mean that at least some buds have survived.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Though these needles don't look so good:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Whole tree:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Pic of one of the affected needles.
Posted Image

Posted Image