Your Aquarium Resource Center

Quality assistance, current developments for advancement of aquarists
Tropical fish, aquatic plants, brackish tanks, marine, nano reefs

Hi everyone .my name is John, i was a member once before, under the user name something fishy,

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMannering Park, Australia

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Hi ,i have been out of fish for a while, but am thinking about getting back into them.my main interest will be catfish, dwarf cichlids, & killifish.

#2 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

Heya! Welcome back!

Posted Image

76L: Nathan [longfin sword], Athena [lyretail sword], Whiptail[female pintail sword], Earl [normal male sword], Mormy & Tiny [homebred swordies], Kitty [Hoplo], Cory [corydoras].

RIP Tzuppy [Hoplo] 2003-2016

#3 Steve

Steve

Nerd Alert!! Nerd Alert!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburb

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

Hey John,

Killis!! Now there's a fish I'd like to learn about

#4 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Hi Pisces, Hi Steve
That makes three of us still talking, what you been up to, hope you are both well ,hope your fish are happy,
I am in the process of redoing the fish room, i sold 2 tanks, they were 4 x 2 x 2 , got rid of them, am now giving the room a coat of paint, i still have over 20 tanks , ranging from 4 foot, down to 15 inch, once i get the painting done, & the tanks reset, i will be back into Killifish , catfish , dwarf cichlids, thats why i sent you the message a couple of days ago, as i have to work out some lighting which is cheaper to run, electricity is so expensive here.

Steve ,if you are interested in Killifish why dont you look up the American Killifish Association, they would also be able to tell you if there was any clubs in your area.

Pisces what are you keeping these days, if my memory is right , you had a large catfish in your tank.

#5 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

Just remembered Pisces, it was a Hoplo catfish, am i correct.

John

#6 Tolak

Tolak

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:15 AM

Welcome back and yup, you're correct on the hoplo.  I'm in the process of getting my fishroom rolling again, shut it down for a bit while helping my wife with some medical issues.  For lights led's are the most efficient, and have really come down in price.  I'm swapping out the flouro's in my fishroom for led's as tanks start to stock back up.  Picked up some angels at a swap last Sunday, half a dozen quarter body size koi, showing some nice orange, and 3 half dollar body size marble veils.

Plan is to cross the marbles with the strain a buddy of mine has been breeding, and unfortunately inbreeding a bit too much for years.  They still have excellent fins & body shape, the marble pattern is starting to revert to something that resembles a broken zebra pattern.  Crossing the two strains should fix that.
Posted Image

#7 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Hi Tolak
Good to hear you are getting back into fish, hope the Angel crossings go well, & you get something nice out of them.the ones that have been inbred for so long will pick up with an injection of new blood.
I shut down my fish room , sold all my fish, just had so much going on, but now i am missing them, so are now in the process of cleaning up the fish room, i sold two 4 x 2 x 2 tanks just to big to look after, & taking up a lot of room, i have started giving the room a coat of paint, i have to do one wall at a time, as i have to move stands & tanks around, one done i will be trying some Corydoras cats, Killies,  dwarf cichlids.If i can find some descent stock, Killies are not a problem, as i know most of the members of the Sydney Killie group.
Led Lights have not come down in Australia, still expensive.

John

#8 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostJohn, on 08 March 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Just remembered Pisces, it was a Hoplo catfish, am i correct.

John
I had a hoplo called Tzuppy. Now I have one named Kitty, which seems to be female. And my whole swordtail crew has been renewed over the years. I now have 3 store-bought ones and 2 juveniles born at home.
This is the coolest juvenile swordie male I have:
Posted Image
Kitty:
Posted Image

Though she seems to have cataracts or something. Ever since I bought her, she had a difficult time seeing the food, and I had no idea why. Then a blue film formed on her eyes. It remained that way for several months, with no further progress or regress. At least she learned to come to the corner so I can feed her directly.

Posted Image

76L: Nathan [longfin sword], Athena [lyretail sword], Whiptail[female pintail sword], Earl [normal male sword], Mormy & Tiny [homebred swordies], Kitty [Hoplo], Cory [corydoras].

#9 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Nice looking Swordie , Pisces, good that your Hoplo is doing ok, looks like a female , going on the Pectoral fins.i also like swordtails, will get some when i get the fish room up & running again.

#10 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostJohn, on 15 March 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Nice looking Swordie , Pisces, good that your Hoplo is doing ok, looks like a female , going on the Pectoral fins.i also like swordtails, will get some when i get the fish room up & running again.
Yeah seems female, but may still take some time until I'll be sure. I think the males also have a white dangly thing under them, so I'm waiting to see what changes Kitty goes through.

I've got 2 more swordtail females today, but I'm not sure about this possible female. It has a rather unusual tail. Is it a pintail variety or is it suffering from cancer? I got her because I felt sorry for her.
Posted Image

Also this veiltail one, she was starving and immediately proceeded to mow down my hair algae off some roots of a plant.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

Nice Swordies, Pisces, are you sure that one ,with the bad  tail has not had something else chew its tail.

I remember when i got right into fish keeping  many years ago, we had a huge Lyretail sword, & she started to drop her fry early in the night, so we separated her ,& finished up sitting with her till about 2.30 am in the morning collecting the fry, we finished up with 162 fry, never had any thing like that since.

John

#12 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostJohn, on 16 March 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Nice Swordies, Pisces, are you sure that one ,with the bad  tail has not had something else chew its tail.

I remember when i got right into fish keeping  many years ago, we had a huge Lyretail sword, & she started to drop her fry early in the night, so we separated her ,& finished up sitting with her till about 2.30 am in the morning collecting the fry, we finished up with 162 fry, never had any thing like that since.

John
It's a possibility, no idea what its history is. But all the more reason to save her from the store. She seems to have veiltail genes too, but may just be a failed pintail.

Yeah, lyretail and veiltails (but apparently only orange ones) drop a lot of fry and grow huge. I have 2 babies from a big veiltail and they're growing super fast. Meanwhile, my 2 blood-red swordies (one of which is a lyretail) are very slow growers and the only fry I had from the lyre died when it was a juvi but it took it several months to reach that size, whereas these 2 orange ones were born late December last year, and are almost adult-sized.

Posted Image

#13 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

We are the only two talking on here Pisces,
Yes ,i have seen some large red/gold swordies in my time, but these days with strict quarintine laws, the importers only bring in small stuff, i remember when i had my shop, we had a Dutchman, ( cannot remember his name ) at the end of summer , each year he would bring in a container full of the reddest swords possible , they were mixed sizes, ,some large , some small, he had them breeding in a outside pond , during the warmer months, ,then as the weather cooled he would pick out his keepers, & bring the rest into us , & swap them for food, etc.

#14 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostJohn, on 17 March 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

We are the only two talking on here Pisces,
Yes ,i have seen some large red/gold swordies in my time, but these days with strict quarintine laws, the importers only bring in small stuff, i remember when i had my shop, we had a Dutchman, ( cannot remember his name ) at the end of summer , each year he would bring in a container full of the reddest swords possible , they were mixed sizes, ,some large , some small, he had them breeding in a outside pond , during the warmer months, ,then as the weather cooled he would pick out his keepers, & bring the rest into us , & swap them for food, etc.
Well, the forum's kind of empty most days.
I've seen some large swords on sale, they were goldfish size. But that was only one time and they were leaning toward the orange side. Wouldn't be able to fit more than 1 of those comfortably in my 4 footer.

Posted Image

#15 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Do you know of any other active forums , , i have spoken to a couple of members on here, Steve, Tolkan ,and one or two others,

#16 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostJohn, on 18 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Do you know of any other active forums , , i have spoken to a couple of members on here, Steve, Tolkan ,and one or two others,
Nope, and last time I checked TFF, seemed like they were lacking in experts. No idea if things have changed there lately.

Posted Image

#17 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:16 AM

We will just hope this one picks up again .

Your tank ,has Indo fern in it, it likes slightly acid water i have found, ,but Swordtails like alkaline water, but your fish seem quite happy.

#18 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostJohn, on 20 March 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

We will just hope this one picks up again .

Your tank ,has Indo fern in it, it likes slightly acid water i have found, ,but Swordtails like alkaline water, but your fish seem quite happy.
It's a trident Java fern, it made plantlets last autumn like there was no tomorrow. Now I have several baby ferns in that clump of willow moss. The new LED light on top is helping with the fast growth too. Sadly the only 3 plants that can survive in here are ferns, moss, and that anubias that keeps dealing with some kind of algae that pops up on it every now and then.

The swordies seem to not mind the pH but I change about half of it weekly so it might get balanced, as my tap is usually around 7 pH with a bit toward the alkaline side. The real terror starts during summer though, because they hate the heat and when autumn comes, there might be some disease returning. I had a columnaris attack 2 years ago that wiped out my old swordies (3 to 3.5 years) and only left the 2 young ones and a 1 year old female that I lost last year in December after she gave birth to a lot of fry.

Posted Image

#19 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

I have never had any luck with Java fern in aquariums with regular water changes, i have found i need to let the water get a bit old, then the the fern ,takes off., i have one tank in the house with Java fern growing well, &it gets water changed about a third every six weeks.

#20 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostJohn, on 23 March 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I have never had any luck with Java fern in aquariums with regular water changes, i have found i need to let the water get a bit old, then the the fern ,takes off., i have one tank in the house with Java fern growing well, &it gets water changed about a third every six weeks.
I used to have so much luck with elodea that my tank looked like a jungle.
Posted Image

But now anything I put in there, including hornwort, just melts away. I think the willow moss is killing it off, because it went out of control.

Posted Image