#1 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

During the last days of August, the heatwave killed off my nearly 2 years old longfin male who was the dominant one of the tank, Nathan:
Posted Image

The female with the tumor has died mid September after getting a second tumor on her left fin, in the black area of it.
Posted Image

So I'm left with Mormy (the lyretail) and Tiny, born last December:
Posted Image
Posted Image

These two unnamed blood reds born some time in March:
Posted Image

And Kitty and a second hoplo named Musti to keep her company.
Posted Image

Posted Image

76L: Nathan [longfin sword], Whiptail[female pintail sword], 2 red albinos [homebred swordies], Mormy & Tiny [homebred swordies], Kitty [Hoplo].

RIP Tzuppy [Hoplo] 2003-2016

#2 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• Pet Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

Sorry about you loosing your fish. The lyretail is looking fantastic though

#3 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostGuerrero, on 09 October 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sorry about you loosing your fish. The lyretail is looking fantastic though
At least the heat is over and the fish are more active than ever now.

His mom was a longfin and his dad was a blood-red simple male, their song looks like an angelfish with the way his fins have formed.
Maybe in the future I'll breed his brother Tiny to a longfin female so he hopefully passes the laser shiny stripes gene to a longfin or lyretail offspring.

Posted Image

76L: Nathan [longfin sword], Whiptail[female pintail sword], 2 red albinos [homebred swordies], Mormy & Tiny [homebred swordies], Kitty [Hoplo].

#4 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

That would look cool. I do like livebears for how easy they are to mess about with breeding different combinations.

#5 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostGuerrero, on 13 October 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

That would look cool. I do like livebears for how easy they are to mess about with breeding different combinations.
Yeah, the egg layers are harder to get different types from them. Maybe the Bettas, Discus or Angelfish, but aside from them, I don't know any that can take different shapes and color. Although I wish I could find long-finned hoplos. There's a longfin and albino version of pretty much every other catfish, but the only difference i've ever noticed at a hoplo was at Tzuppy, who grew some sharp tips of fins and some claws. Then there was the rare albino hoplo occurrence somewhere in the world...
Posted Image
It seems the owner has two of these, I've seen them in pics but I cannot link to them.

Posted Image

#6 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

albino hoplo looks very cool.
I suspect its just much mroe difficult to breed egglayers- if nothign else they take longer than live bearers. I know theres some nice variations in some cichlids. I'd love to set up something for A. hongsloi. Shoaling fish tend to be more homozygous I imagine because its good for survival so different forms of them are less common (bar albino and longer fins on a bunch) I think such a wide variety of colours for one species is a bit rare. Livebearers and bettas deffinitly win on that one.

#7 something fishy

something fishy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hi Pisces, hi Guerrera

Are you the only two left on the forum, sorry to hear about  Corie & your swordies suffering from the heat, , i gave the forum away when all that spam started appearing, my few fish are doing well at the moment, not doing any breeding, i just have 3 Congo tetras, 3  Black widow tetras, 3 Mountain clouds & two Corydoras sterbii.the weather is starting to warmhere, i think we might be in for a long hot summer.
Something Fishy

#8 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi there,
Does look like we're the only ones left though Tolak did pop by and remove all the spam.
I've got the opposite problem at the moment, we're going into winter and its really cold! the heater isn't up to it some days. should probably get a new one. I'm down to just the 2 false neon tetras, scribble plec and a whiptail catfish. and the immortal amano shrimp. I'll be restocking once we move in a few weeks. Hope the heat doesn't get too much for you.

#9 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostGuerrero, on 18 October 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

albino hoplo looks very cool.
I suspect its just much mroe difficult to breed egglayers- if nothign else they take longer than live bearers. I know theres some nice variations in some cichlids. I'd love to set up something for A. hongsloi. Shoaling fish tend to be more homozygous I imagine because its good for survival so different forms of them are less common (bar albino and longer fins on a bunch) I think such a wide variety of colours for one species is a bit rare. Livebearers and bettas deffinitly win on that one.
Yeah, hoplos are very picky with their breeding situations. Unlike cories who will breed with any males and lay eggs on tank glass or decor.
Some shoaling fish look nice and can give your tank that hive mind display (especially shoals of Neon Tetras), but I prefer fish that are thinking for themselves more often than following the shoal. They're more eager to explore, pass on behaviors to other fish, and aren't afraid to interact with humans.

View Postsomething fishy, on 27 October 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Hi Pisces, hi Guerrera

Are you the only two left on the forum, sorry to hear about  Corie & your swordies suffering from the heat, , i gave the forum away when all that spam started appearing, my few fish are doing well at the moment, not doing any breeding, i just have 3 Congo tetras, 3  Black widow tetras, 3 Mountain clouds & two Corydoras sterbii.the weather is starting to warmhere, i think we might be in for a long hot summer.
Heya Something fishy! Well, the forum is quite empty now. I check it every now and then to see what people are raising nowadays and to update on my fish tank too. For some reason I keep getting my password for this website messed up, had to change it again. My browser said it saved it but it puts in the wrong one for some reason.

Posted Image

#10 something fishy

something fishy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Hi folks
The weather is up & down here, we packed our heater away, & at the moment we could be using it as its quite cool, my fish are happy tho, i still have a few tanks running in the fish room, but no fish in them,
I did start a new page under my name John but i seem to have lost it so i reverted back to my old user name ..

John
Something Fishy

#11 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

You say corries will breed anywhere but mine refused for the entire time I had them :P

Weathers got realyl cold and I've had to move my tank to the windowsil is of cause the best place for that to go. So far no algae though but I think one of the new plants had snails, I've got an outbreak for the first time ever :/ I get to restock once we move which is hopfully going to happen but its not going well :P Currently thinking Galaxy Rasbora or some other nano. Ill probably have to renew the shrimp too cause they've stopped breeding, theyve had 3-4yrs of inbreed from the initial 15 so its hardly suprising.

#12 something fishy

something fishy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

If you give them a half water change with cold water, then let the temerature climb back up , this will usually initiate spawning, also it could be what you are feeding them, they need a nutritous diet to condition them for spawning.try some live worms or brine shrimp, with the worms i have even used chopped up earth worms, its a bit meey, but will usually get results.
Something Fishy

#13 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

could have been diet, they got the cold water changes plenty. I don't have them anymore though after a heater malfunction cooked them :(  Never thought about using Earth worms before though. I'll have to remember that

#14 something fishy

something fishy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Earth worms, or compost worms, i chop them upwith a razor blade, then give them a rinse, to get rid of all the muck, they are a great conditioning food for any type of fish.
Are you going to get some more & have another try.
Something Fishy

#15 Guerrero

Guerrero

Forum Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

I probably won't get cories for now, I've got a whiptail and a scribble plec in the 90L so the bottom layer is rather well stocked already. Might set up another tank at somepoint with them in.

#16 something fishy

something fishy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Whiptails are fun to breed as well, Royal whiptails are another one , easy to breed , but difficult to raise the fry.
Where abouts are you Guerrero, .
Something Fishy

#17 Pisces

Pisces

Established Aquarist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Lost another fish (Tiny the orange swordie male with normal fins) 2 weeks ago, this time to what probably was gill flukes. His gills were enlarged and something white was coming out of them. I quarantined him but he refused to eat. Tried methylene blue but it didn't even stain the white stuff. Also salt didn't help. He died few days later.

This week I've bought a female longfin, called her Linda.
Posted Image

Edited by Pisces, Yesterday, 03:37 PM.

Posted Image