21 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxyu3

Tuxyu3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not know i am only  fourteen so the only way i can support my fishy needs is through borrowing money or waiting for birthdays and christmas, understandably i am not too mad on this.

I have recently bought some java moss (yet to arrive) and cant help but notice it apparently grows easily and sells for a decent price, would it be a good or bad idea to grow some in a jar and sell it on the interwebs to supplement my fish fund?

Shoot me down in flames if you think its a bad idea. :geek:
  Fish, that is all
   Juwel Rio 180 journal (6 Bronze Corydoras, 7 Harlequin Rasbora,  2 long-fin Zebra Danios's, 2 female & 1 male Pearl Gourami, ? Kuhli Loach's)

#2 noahsark6

noahsark6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationSheffield, Yorkshire, UK

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Not a bad idea, hope it works

Edited by noahsark6, 28 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

120 Litre - 2X Angelfish, 12X Cardinal Tetra, 2X Bristlenose Plecos
90 Litre - Journal Soon
20 Litre - Shrimp

#3 minnnt

minnnt

NutJob

• Section Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • LocationNottinghamshire

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, you're not going to get a mass over night, or even in a month, but it grows pretty well. Rather than sell it all, why not swap some for other plants? Worth a shot.

Posted Image

#4 Aqua Tom

Aqua Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Great idea, go for it. Also if you need any freebies (plantwise) I am sure we could help.

Tom

Boots Household Ammonia (uk)

Juwel Rio 180 litre. Fluval 205 external filter. Hydor in-line Heater. Sand Substrate. Live Plants. Homemade co2 system using a 33kg pub co2 bottle. 6 Sterbai Corydoras. 15 Cardinal Tetras. 1 male Bristle Nosed Catfish. 1 Goldhead Angelfish. 6 Cherry Barbs. 6 Otocinclus. 3 Bolivian Rams. Loads of Assassin Snails.

Posted Image

#5 Tuxyu3

Tuxyu3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks guys, i understand i wont get a magic 10 tonne of moss overnight but i am thinking in the long term instead of begging for money all the time :no:
And thanks about the offer to help, its always nice to have people willing to be supportive (too dramatic? XD)
  Fish, that is all
   Juwel Rio 180 journal (6 Bronze Corydoras, 7 Harlequin Rasbora,  2 long-fin Zebra Danios's, 2 female & 1 male Pearl Gourami, ? Kuhli Loach's)

#6 ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostTuxyu3, on 28 August 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Thanks guys, i understand i wont get a magic 10 tonne of moss overnight but i am thinking in the long term instead of begging for money all the time :no:
And thanks about the offer to help, its always nice to have people willing to be supportive (too dramatic? XD)

If you're going to do business then floating plants, certainly the species I have, will reproduce far more quickly than moss. I put three bits in the tank and within two months I had to clear it all out as the tank became too dark to see the fish!

I don't know what it's called but if I get the time I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Edited by ShinySideUp, 28 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Betta Breeder

Betta Breeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hi. Since I'm around your age I do the same thing. I'm a bit younger. I don't really sell my plants as they are too much of an asset in this hobby, I might not need all the plants one day and the next day I'll be setting up a heavily planted spawn tank for my bettas and am going to need a ton of plants. So instead I breed bettas which provide a better revenue and are fun to breed and raise but they require a lot of commitment. For the school year il be breeding killifish mostly. I make around 100 dollars every few weeks
Bettas. Pronounces Beh-tu not Bay-ta

#8 Tuxyu3

Tuxyu3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostBetta Breeder, on 29 August 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Hi. Since I'm around your age I do the same thing. I'm a bit younger. I don't really sell my plants as they are too much of an asset in this hobby, I might not need all the plants one day and the next day I'll be setting up a heavily planted spawn tank for my bettas and am going to need a ton of plants. So instead I breed bettas which provide a better revenue and are fun to breed and raise but they require a lot of commitment. For the school year il be breeding killifish mostly. I make around 100 dollars every few weeks

Breeding and selling fish is always something I have been interested in, where do you sell them? I don't live in a city so I might not find many (if any) people willing to pick them up and my LFS might not be too interested either, then I would be in trouble!
  Fish, that is all

#9 Betta Breeder

Betta Breeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

I sell all of my fish on Aqubid.com. I'm not sure if you guys have that in the UK

#10 Aqua Tom

Aqua Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostShinySideUp, on 28 August 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

If you're going to do business then floating plants, certainly the species I have, will reproduce far more quickly than moss. I put three bits in the tank and within two months I had to clear it all out as the tank became too dark to see the fish!

I don't know what it's called but if I get the time I'll take a picture tomorrow.

That sounds like duck weed

Tom

Boots Household Ammonia (uk)

Juwel Rio 180 litre. Fluval 205 external filter. Hydor in-line Heater. Sand Substrate. Live Plants. Homemade co2 system using a 33kg pub co2 bottle. 6 Sterbai Corydoras. 15 Cardinal Tetras. 1 male Bristle Nosed Catfish. 1 Goldhead Angelfish. 6 Cherry Barbs. 6 Otocinclus. 3 Bolivian Rams. Loads of Assassin Snails.

Posted Image

#11 Betta Breeder

Betta Breeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

For the reason of that plant growing so fast you'll have little/no luck making the same amount of money on that plant as you would for the moss.. The faster and more common the plant is the less expensive the plant is IMO/E

#12 Tuxyu3

Tuxyu3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Received my moss today :D
  Fish, that is all

#13 ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostAqua Tom, on 29 August 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

That sounds like duck weed

No, duck weed has small leaves. My stuff has much larger leaves which, when fully grown, are slightly hairy and about 1.5 cm across.
Posted Image

#14 Tuxyu3

Tuxyu3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostShinySideUp, on 29 August 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

No, duck weed has small leaves. My stuff has much larger leaves which, when fully grown, are slightly hairy and about 1.5 cm across.

Sounds like nothing I've ever seen, although saying that I'm not very up to date on plants
  Fish, that is all

#15 Betta Breeder

Betta Breeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Dwarf water lettuce? Amazon frogbit? Hornwort?

#16 Corydorable

Corydorable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostBetta Breeder, on 29 August 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Don't you mean a 'betta' revenue? Haha!

I am convinced you're much older than you say you are! To successfully breed bettas and know so much about them at such a young age is enviable!

If yu want to have a go at breeding and perhaps make a few quid on the way, cherry shrimp are great. You need to have a dedicated small tank but you can have it nicely planted and start off with say, 15... In no time you'll have a population explosion and you can probably sell them on at a good size for 50p each. They are so fun to watch too!

Edited by Corydorable, 01 September 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#17 ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Took me a while but...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Ruskull

Ruskull

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationClayton, North Carolina, USA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

Please do, I'm looking for some of those floating plants for 2 of my tanks
55 Acrylic: (2) Three Spot Gouramis (1) Bolivian Ram (7) Turquoise Rainbows (4) Bosemani Rainbows (12) Schwartz's Corries (10) Threelined Corries (2) Emerald Corries (7) Otos (2) Netrite Snails 36 Bowfront: (2) Pearl Gouramis (1) Opaline Gourami (7) Cherry Barbs (6) Glass Catfish (1) Siamese AE (1) Ramshorn Snail 20 High: (1) Pineapple Swordtail (1) Bolivian Ram (4) Rosy Barbs (11) Pristella Tetras (1) Neon Tetra (4) Glowlight Tetras (1) BN Pleco
Posted Image

#19 Ruskull

Ruskull

Established Aquarist

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationClayton, North Carolina, USA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

somebody please ID
55 Acrylic: (2) Three Spot Gouramis (1) Bolivian Ram (7) Turquoise Rainbows (4) Bosemani Rainbows (12) Schwartz's Corries (10) Threelined Corries (2) Emerald Corries (7) Otos (2) Netrite Snails 36 Bowfront: (2) Pearl Gouramis (1) Opaline Gourami (7) Cherry Barbs (6) Glass Catfish (1) Siamese AE (1) Ramshorn Snail 20 High: (1) Pineapple Swordtail (1) Bolivian Ram (4) Rosy Barbs (11) Pristella Tetras (1) Neon Tetra (4) Glowlight Tetras (1) BN Pleco
Posted Image

#20 Ctenopomalover93

Ctenopomalover93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSouthern Calfifornia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

You wouldn't make a ton of money but anything to help support the hobby! Good luck :ahappy:
55 Gallon: 2 Ctenopoma Acutirostre, 1 Ctenopoma Fasciolatum, 1 Ctenopoma Weeksii, 2 Angels,7 Ghost Catfish, 2 Mollies(temporary), 1 Platy(temporary), 4 Snails :)

My Ctenopoma Journal